Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I Love My Featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-love-my-featherweight-t110220.html)

ChubbyBunny 03-24-2011 01:06 PM

I love mine too! I use "her" mainly for piecing and she sews wonderfully. I'll never sell Bubbles. :thumbup:

QuiltnNan 03-24-2011 01:15 PM

Hello from Minnesota. Welcome.

Painiacs 03-24-2011 04:02 PM

Very lucky u!!! I'm so happy for you! Hope you have fun with them! Do me a favor? Find me a deal like that! Lol

Painiacs 03-24-2011 04:03 PM

Ooohhhhhh chubby bunny your is pink! Love pink!!

bigdogmom 03-24-2011 04:10 PM

I got mine on ebay. I had ebay email me with "newly listed" featherweigts, and I snapped it up a few hours after listing. I have also heard of the cardboard trick, and think I will try it someday. Featherweights are just too cute! Plus they sew great!

DesiG 03-24-2011 04:18 PM

The feed dog cover plus a big foot from Nancy's notions will work just fine. The machine itself is a little small to be doing a lot of FMQ though, it will do it, but smashing a quilt through that little space is a pain unless the project is small. Try to get a 301 or 301A- mine is really nice for FMQ and it is similar to my FW. The prices for the 221's are similar today to what I paid for mine 20 years ago, maybe a little higher, but not much. I will never sell mine, and mostly use it to piece and for camper sewing. Congrats on your find!

annesthreads 03-25-2011 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by DesiG
The machine itself is a little small to be doing a lot of FMQ though, it will do it, but smashing a quilt through that little space is a pain unless the project is small. Try to get a 301 or 301A- mine is really nice for FMQ and it is similar to my FW.

Yes, I did think that I wasn't going to be quilting anything big on the FW! But I'd be curious to try FMQ with a small project. Thanks for the heads-up on the 301: I can see a collection of vintage sewing machines coming on!

sandraphippard 03-25-2011 03:17 AM

Hi Linda,
I've gotten feet and other parts at a reasonable cost at deb travis site www.quiltersportable.com
Sandy

OmaForFour 03-25-2011 03:21 AM

Google it online for parts and accessories. There is a plate that fits over the feed dogs and a darning foot for it. I believe one site may be Sew Classics (no affiliation). I got them for mine a long time ago. I also got my FW on Ebay and it is in perfect shape at a reasonable price. I just had to keep looking for a while.

Originally Posted by annesthreads

Originally Posted by lsb142
I'm a new quilter. At my quilting class a couple of the ladies had Featherweights. I fell in love. I was able to find one on Ebay for a reasonable price. It sews like a dream. I definitely wouldn't sell it for twice what I paid for it.

Linda

This morning I've taken delivery of mine and am absolutely thrilled. It's so beautiful, and sews so smoothly. I found mine on Ebay too: it's obviously been cherished and is in wonderful condition. Even the case looks like new. We're both 1953 babies, and I think the FW is doing better than me :)
One question: there's no darning foot or feed dog cover included: does anyone know if I'm likely to be able to obtain them?

JabezRose 03-25-2011 03:33 AM

I have lucked out here, found all three of my Featherwights I have purchased, on Craigslist. Keep an eye on there. Type in search line, sewing machine or featherweight. Search surrounding counties ourside your own. And were less expensive than Ebay.