Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I Love My Featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-love-my-featherweight-t110220.html)

purplefiend 03-25-2011 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma Libby
You mean so many of you ladies are buying these OLD machines and using them instead of your modern ones, or do you just use them for certain things?

The featherweight makes a beautiful straight stitch, so much better than the modern zig zag machines. I really like the featherweight or one of my treadles when I'm piecing triangles; the points don't get eaten.
I have 2 fancy computerized machines, but the featherweights get used more for piecing quilts.

harrishs 03-25-2011 07:26 PM

I bought my first Featherweight (black) a few months aago and fell in love with "sweet Caroline." I just bought a White Featherweight on E-Bay and can hardly wait until she gets here!

4dogs 03-26-2011 02:25 AM

Has anyone tried sewing with the small machine that is for sale at Hancock fabric stores? I was thinking it would be a light weight, small machine........price wasnt too bad (less than a hundred dollars)...could this work like the feather weights, and yet be much cheaper?

annesthreads 03-26-2011 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by bjcombs2022
I got the 1/4 inch foot for my FW at my local Janome shop. It wasn't expensive and they told me that any low shank foot will work with it! Love that machine

Thanks for all the recommendations for stockists. It looks as if all I'll need for now is a feed cover, as I've checked and my Janome feet fit the FW.

LuvQuiltin 03-26-2011 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Libby
You mean so many of you ladies are buying these OLD machines and using them instead of your modern ones, or do you just use them for certain things?

I am now piecing all my tops with my FWs. I still use my Bernina for applique and until I find a walking foot for the FW I am sewing my bindings on the bernina. If it weren't for the stitch I use on the bernina for applique then I'd probably sell it. I absolutely love my FWs and I'm not easily impressed. The stitch quality is superior to anything I've stitched on or seen. I was blown away by the beautiful, perfectly formed stitches. I have 10 and they ALL perform the same. And the Motors.....very strong and fast and I can't imagine burning one up as I've done on newer machines.

patdesign 03-26-2011 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
I may have to get me one and see what all the fuss is about. But first, I want the longarm!!

ME TOO!

DesiG 03-26-2011 03:58 PM

look into buying a buttonhole attachment for the featherweight- sometimes they can be had at a decent price- and they have a feed dog cover in the kit that you can use for darning (and FMQ)
I saw some on ebay for as little as $20 this past week

cherrybsixty 03-26-2011 05:38 PM

I keep saying it, but this spring I am buying me one. Would love the green one, but will settle for a black one.

SewExtremeSeams 03-26-2011 07:06 PM

I love my FW too. My 5 year old GS has been sewing on it since he was 3. Sew glad you are enjoying yours. Smart choice!

SewExtremeSeams 03-26-2011 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by 4dogs
Has anyone tried sewing with the small machine that is for sale at Hancock fabric stores? I was thinking it would be a light weight, small machine........price wasnt too bad (less than a hundred dollars)...could this work like the feather weights, and yet be much cheaper?

The machine you are wondering about from Hancocks may or may not be a great machine.

However, IMHO, a true FW has the quality of workmanship done before the 70s and 80s on machines... all metals parts and such. The hum of a FW is like none other. Their stitches are straight. I have always wondered why this is. My idea is that it pulls the fabric in straight as it sews. But, I may not know what I am talking about.

My guess would be that the machine from Hancocks does not have all metal parts. Although, it may work just fine too. If you have a friend who owns a FW ask them if you could try theirs. Hope this helps. $250 is a very reasonable price for a FW but often people find them for less in the most unusual places!