Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I love thrift stores! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-love-thrift-stores-t270252.html)

Sewnoma 09-21-2015 12:17 PM

I love thrift stores!

DH & I stopped in at a thrift shop on our lunch break and I found a new machine!

I think this is the 6th machine I've found at this particular thrift shop (that I took home with me).

This time I got a really cute turquoise White for $25! It's in a pretty beat up case but the machine itself looks well-used and well-maintained. It doesn't come with any cams or accessories and the needle clamp is missing (of all things) but I'm hoping it's a fairly generic size; I'll test-fit some clamps from the herd when I get it home and see about ordering a new one. It needs new consumables like belt and bobbin tire but the paint is in great shape and everything moves very nicely. I didn't even test the motor but I'm pretty confident it'll be fine - I've yet to find a bad motor. Bad wiring, yes, bad motor...not so far! (knock on wood...)

It's a White model 1563. Anybody know if this was made by Maruzen, by chance? Some of the fittings on the machine look a lot like what's on a Kenmore I have that was made by Maruzen.

Now I can't wait to go home and play with my new two-ton toy! I'll be sure to post some pictures too. She's almost a dashboard machine, but not quite. (Not to my eyes, anyway.) I really like the knobs and dials on it though.

sewbeadit 09-21-2015 12:30 PM

It is so exciting to hear your excitement for your new machine. That is something I don't seem to find often at thrift stores, I think someone always beats me to them or maybe they don't get them often around us. I would love to find a cutie at a thrift shop. We need a picture of course! Have fun.

Rodney 09-21-2015 08:02 PM

I have a blue & white Japanese made White parts machine. If you don't have one to fit I can check mine.
Rodney

Wanabee Quiltin 09-22-2015 05:14 AM

DH picked up a mint green White for me a few years back for $10. It sews so beautifully that I took it to our cottage. I also picked up a Singer 15-91 to use in another room when I watch TV. These old beauties sure do sew great. Hope you get the parts for your White, they are such good machines.

ManiacQuilter2 09-22-2015 05:30 AM

Some of you quilters have the best luck in finding really neat stuff in thrift stores. I can never find anything that great in thrift stores in So CA. :(

ljptexas 09-22-2015 05:53 AM

I usually don't find a treasure when I do go but this last Sat. I did!!
At a Goodwill store in McKinney, TX, I bought 2 large rolled up pkgs for $4! When I unrolled them found a blue tone-on tone of 6 yds, a pretty print 6 yds, little of soft blue denim, 3 yds of cute kiddy fabric, 6 yds. of bright print & a piece of pretty blue solid. Have washed all & now to iron...

Sewnoma 09-22-2015 05:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the offer Rodney! I "borrowed" the clamp from my Singer 15 and it works well enough. It sits a little high - I can see the bottom of the needle bar poking out, but it holds the needle nice and tight. I will just order a new one from Sew Classic; looks like they're less than $2 and I need a new belt and some other random bits from them anyway.

Some "beauty" shots - I haven't cleaned or oiled her yet, this is pretty much how I got her, aside from adding the borrowed needle clamp.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]531391[/ATTACH]

Someone put tape on her nose, like I do to my cat sometimes. LOL
[ATTACH=CONFIG]531392[/ATTACH]

And, her pretty metal innards. I like the design, it seems very elegant and simple.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]531393[/ATTACH]

I didn't have time to finish fixing the tension but I really LIKE how she moves and sounds. She's speedy too, when I put the pedal down she BOOGIES. And gosh she's so pretty! Looks and moves - this girl has it all! LOL A little oil and a little adjusting and I think she'll be a good hard worker.

The case is pretty bad - stained and wobbly and sort of broken up. I think I can salvage it, though. It doesn't stink, at least!

Sewnoma 09-22-2015 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7324546)
Some of you quilters have the best luck in finding really neat stuff in thrift stores. I can never find anything that great in thrift stores in So CA. :(

It seems to go in waves here. There will be nothing for months, then suddenly they're everywhere. I passed on a Singer 101 for $20 and a Singer 15 for $15 just a couple weeks ago. Both were in really good shape and I wanted them both but realistically...I don't have the space for as many machines as I want and they were both in (ugly) cabinets. If it had been a 201 and/or a 301 I'd have bought them, though, and just left the cabinets behind as a re-donation. I like machines in cabinets but I do NOT have the space for more. I went back a week later and someone else had grabbed them. Good! I hope that someone else is enjoying their machines! :)

ppquilter 09-22-2015 06:29 AM

Very pretty indeed! Nice find!

soman2 09-22-2015 12:08 PM

WOW!! What a beauty and it has to be the heavy weight in the herd but, at two-ton, how do you move it around??:D Maybe it's a two-tone???

Soman2

The other Rodney