Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I must have crossed a line . . . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-must-have-crossed-line-t242507.html)

miriam 03-04-2014 12:08 PM

I have bought up machines that were stored in unheated buildings... you DO want climate control, well other than what God gives you.

Rodney 03-04-2014 12:29 PM

Maybe you could sell your husband on a separate man cave for his reloading and stuff. I know I would bite on that one. Of course a free standing sewing studio wouldn't be so bad either.

We only own 8 machines (my daughter likes to claim ownership too) and I can't think of any I want to part ways with so I know how you feel. I know some of the reason why I'm addicted to sewing machines but I don't understand why it's such a strong addiction.

There's still more machines I want to get. I'm still lacking a good free arm machine and I don't have one of the early 60s machines with all the chrome and knobs yet either. Those two are toward the top of my priorities, but I also like almost any older VS machine I see and I like the colorful paint jobs on the 1950s and 60s machines too. The list goes on. I'm almost grateful I don't have the room and must be selective in my choices.
Rodney

abdconsultant 03-04-2014 12:48 PM

I feel your pain!

Macybaby 03-04-2014 01:21 PM

I sent my husband an email with ideas - we'll see if he lets me in the house when I get home tonight!

Or if he has guys in white suits waiting to take me away.

Macybaby 03-04-2014 01:27 PM

BTW - I never said this would not be a heated building. While it's one thing to have the old girls in the cold, my Bailey would be out there to - and that is NOT going to happen.

However it would be as "climate controlled" as my house - which means 50-60 in the winter except if I turn it up to 68 when working, and no AC in the summer unless I'm out there working. It would be built like a small house - just no plumbing. The only difference between it and an addition to the house would be the one out of four sides that would be shared with the house. The other three, roof and floor would have the same weather conditions in either situation.

Macybaby 03-04-2014 01:38 PM

I'll also add that I live in an area with rather low humidity - and that does a number way more than below zero temps. Many of the machines I currently owned spent years and years in unheated sheds, and I can't say that I've noticed a difference between them and the ones that stayed inside. I've also seen machines from the south east coast - and years outside in the hot and humid air does a number on them very fast.

Candace 03-04-2014 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags (Post 6608837)
How did the owners of vintage and antique sewing machines store their machines in climate-controlled areas before air conditioning was invented?

CD in Oklahoma

The majority of machines were in the home, I would imagine and kept out of the extremes . And those that weren't, are likely the terrible looking machines some of us have had the ,Um, pleasure to resussitate.

oldsewnsew 03-04-2014 02:12 PM

google "Tiny Houses" you' ll be fighting with DH who gets to use it!!

Watson58 03-04-2014 02:58 PM

I have to add to this: my Davis Vertical Feed treadle that I just started using (I showed photos recently in the ugly green cabinet) was stored for the past 18 yrs in an unheated/uncooled house and then a garage. I didn't have to do anything but oil it and it stitches perfectly. The only rust was on the attachments. I'm not saying it's good for the old ones, just saying it didn't hurt that one. I think it is loving being inside the house now!

Tink's Mom 03-04-2014 03:08 PM

Instead of calling them sheds...how about wings of the sewing machine museum?

I have seen ads for metal buildings the size of barns...one of those would be ideal.