Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I Need Help with My Addiction (LOL) - a WILCOX. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-need-help-my-addiction-lol-wilcox-t236847.html)

vmaniqui 12-16-2013 05:53 PM

I Need Help with My Addiction (LOL) - a WILCOX.

2 Attachment(s)
hi all,
i know that you guys told me that we ourselves determine the true value of an Antique sewing machines. but since i am a newbie and a new AA (antique addict - :) ) i really do need your guidance here. there is a wilcox 1887 that is on sale at my local CL and the guy is asking $100. i am not familiar with this machine and when i talked to him he said it's not working. he didn't specifically told me what the problem is. he said he bought it $100, brought it home and didn't work. so he just wants to break even. any help will be appreciated.don't flame me guys as i have to blame this forum for my sickness (ha ha ha). do i buy or not ? thanks a lot. - vic and i am an AA (antique addict).

jlhmnj 12-16-2013 06:15 PM

I'd consider $100 very fair, there should be a long list of sale prices on ebay completed listings. Will probably run fine with a foot controller installed.

Jon

amcatanzaro 12-16-2013 07:13 PM

Hey! I saw that listing the other day. I have a friend in that area and I was just browsing with her online.

vmaniqui 12-16-2013 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro (Post 6460072)
Hey! I saw that listing the other day. I have a friend in that area and I was just browsing with her online.

I am near the area so really wanted to get the opinion of Wilcox experts here before I head there but I already talked to the seller and I will check it out this week. I will let you know how it goes.

vmaniqui 12-16-2013 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj (Post 6460020)
I'd consider $100 very fair, there should be a long list of sale prices on ebay completed listings. Will probably run fine with a foot controller installed.

Jon

will this be easy to fix? As it's not running as per seller.

jlhmnj 12-16-2013 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui (Post 6460128)
will this be easy to fix? As it's not running as per seller.

Hard to say without a closer look. Can't go wrong for the price.

vmaniqui 12-16-2013 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj (Post 6460155)
Hard to say without a closer look. Can't go wrong for the price.

ok. sounds good. i will chase it then. thanks for the advise.

zozee 12-16-2013 10:05 PM

It's pretty cool but consider the most you'd shell out to get it in working order. My repair bill tripled my outlay on a Singer. I don't know that market, but I never feel I have to give the seller what he paid for it to help him break even. If he paid too much, doesn't mean I have to. I don't need someone else's mistake; I make plenty of my own!

Rodney 12-16-2013 11:41 PM

SteveH is our resident expert on truly early machines. My uninformed opinion is $100 is a good price considering the cosmetic condition it's in. It's a true antique and a very early electric to boot. I think you would be looking long and hard to find a similar one for the price.
Rodney

jackiequilts4fun 12-17-2013 07:33 AM

I think it's gorgeous! I'd love to have it myself.
I agree, you'll have to search few & far between to get another chance at this.