Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I passed up a Singer 99 for $20 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-passed-up-singer-99-%2420-t177341.html)

Teacup 01-28-2012 09:06 PM

I passed up a Singer 99 for $20

Today I was in an antique shop and on the floor I saw a bentwood case in not very good shape sitting askew over a machine. I picked up the cover and saw a Singer 99 in what looked like pretty fair condition. The wooden base around the machine was in pieces, very bad shape. But the machine itself likely would have cleaned up OK. I didn't inspect too closely. There were several feet included. Price was $38 on the tag and a paper attached to the top said it was half off.

I already have a Centennial 99 in beautiful condition. I think this one was a few years older. I'm not in the market for another 99 and I'm not looking for another old machine restoration project (I'm trying to restore a 201 right now). But I keep wondering if I had brought it home whether I would have been able to resell and return any profit on it. I could clean it up and oil it but don't really want to rewire or get into anything else. The case was in such bad shape that it was worthless. I'm not sure that the machine would go for much without the case. I also would have the aggravation of finding a buyer and if on Ebay, having to safely pack it for shipping.

What would you have done? If anyone near Springfield, IL, wants to know where to find it, send me a PM.

Caroline S 01-28-2012 10:16 PM

You have more will power than I do. She would have come home with me to join the other girls in my household.

pinkberrykay 01-29-2012 05:35 AM

I would have grabbed her for $20!!!! If anything I would shave cleaned her up and displayed her in my sewing area, working or not.

DawnFurlong 01-29-2012 05:45 AM

I would have snatched her up! However, I don't have a 99, and am still in the first stages of what I will call my VSM obsession!!! (though from reading through posts, I am thinking once bitten the obsession may never end).

I only have a 15-91, but hope to acquire a few more (first choices - a 201 and a treadle of some type eventually). I would love to eventually learn to restore from start to finish, but do have someone in my area who can do all the re-wiring, cleaning, getting it into working order.

If I had multiple machines already and was in the middle of restoring a 201 - that would likely affect my decision too. Wish you were in my neck of the woods, but I plan to start lurking in my local Goodwill shop. :p

quilt addict 01-29-2012 07:25 AM

You have more will power than me also. It was nice of you to leave it for someone else to find. I agree that it may have been hard to make any money on the machine depending on how much work you want to put into it. You would more likely make money parting it out but if it is in good condition, that is hard to do.

LYNNEVIRGINIA 01-29-2012 07:25 AM

What a bargain for some lucky person.

fluffygirl 01-29-2012 09:41 AM

I have passed up machines too, for the same reasons. I alway think that someone else will come along and get a really good buy!

Pat