Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I see Vintage Singers - everywhere! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-see-vintage-singers-everywhere-t262845.html)

Caroline94535 03-19-2015 07:49 AM

I see Vintage Singers - everywhere!

After bringing home a fine-condition Singer 15-91 and her original cabinet recently, I'm now seeing more of them.

I went to a different thrift store Monday and saw these two machines.

No. 1 - Model No. EF 644444, datesd to 1950 and comes in a one-leaf cabinet.

No. 2 - Model No. AC 018798, dates to 1928 and comes in a two-leaf cabinet; I believe it's the hickory one.

Both are $69. including the cabinets.

I am trying to upload the photos I took with my iPod Touch, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Rodney 03-19-2015 08:22 AM

Caroline those are serial numbers. This will help you find age and model numbers for the machines.
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...-database.html
Rodney

SteveH 03-19-2015 08:54 AM

QB does not allow Large image uploading. Most newer phones take HUGE pictures. If you can get an iPhone app to reduce the image to 640x480 or similar size it will probably let them upload.

KalamaQuilts 03-19-2015 09:48 AM

Once you start looking they really are everywhere, just about every model was made in the millions.
If you remember that, if you want some more you can take your time to be selective :) Buying everything you see is a fools game :)

SteveH 03-19-2015 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 7133270)
Once you start looking they really are everywhere, just about every model was made in the millions.
If you remember that, if you want some more you can take your time to be selective :) Buying everything you see is a fools game :)

My fiancee Heather reminds me "There will ALWAYS be another one available later"

Caroline94535 03-19-2015 12:09 PM

Don't worry - I did not purchase them; I just "saw" them. Both machines had cords with some fraying and they were dusty and rather dirty. But the paint, finish, and decals were bright and lovely. The one I purchased a few weeks back was almost pristine and sewed on the spot.

I'm in no danger of playing a fool's game over sewing toys! I have two working machines, a new Bernina and a vintage Pfaff 130. I still have the Singer my Grandmother bought me in 1975 - simply because she bought it for me, and the little Singer 15-91 because it sews; it came with a small cabinet that fits perfectly under a LR window, and was $59.

I live "out on the prairie" in an unpopulated area; it's 50 miles to the nearest little thrift shop. I don't see more than 3-4 machines for sale every year, and most of them are newer, beat up plastic models. Of course I only get to town about once a month and on to Fargo (150 miles) about once a year so I'm sure I miss seeing some treasures!

I have been working with the iPod photos but I may have to take my digital camera next time. The older machine was so small - and "cute."

Rodney 03-19-2015 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7133293)
My fiancee Heather reminds me "There will ALWAYS be another one available later"

That's true for the class of machine I tend to buy. Your machines: Maybe, maybe not. At the very least it can be a long wait until the next one comes along.
Rodney

psychonurse 03-20-2015 03:37 AM

I take photos with my I phone and edit them on there, it reduces to the smallest size. other times I email myself something from my phone to computer, and post it on here.
hope this helps.

DebbieJJ 03-20-2015 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by psychonurse (Post 7134007)
I take photos with my I phone and edit them on there, it reduces to the smallest size. other times I email myself something from my phone to computer, and post it on here.
hope this helps.

I do the same thing. I never can get a photo to post straight from anything other than my computer.....I'm sure in my case that it's operator error, and I'm just happy I can do that much.:wave:

Caroline94535 03-20-2015 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think there is a problem between my older iPod and the computer. I can send the photos to my computer, but the computer won't let me edit, re-size, and post them. A couple weeks ago this was no problem.

After hours of searching, I think the first machine is 99K. It has "Singer" and "Great Britain" gold decals along the top of the machine. Along the top, but facing the sewist, is "Singer" with floral and scrolled designs on each side of "Singer". The flat front plate is very ornate with an almost fleur-de-lis design. I wish I could email the photo directly to this site. It's so far to drive back just to take photo.