Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I think I have a problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-think-i-have-problem-t278997.html)

bkay 05-26-2016 04:40 PM

I think I have a problem

4 Attachment(s)
I found this auction. In this auction, It has numerous sewing machines, most of which no one has placed a bid. The first one closes tonight. I just bid on it on a lark, because it was an odd looking machine. My maximum bid is $15.00 and the current price is $11.75. Only one other person has bid anything. Of course, you never know about auctions. On this one, you almost have to search specifically for sewing machines to find them. Trying to find that first machine was how I found all the others.There's everything in these auctions from antiques to lawn equipment to school supplies.

The first one a Lenco. I thought it was Japanese, but what little I found indicated its NY. Anyone know anything about it?

Then there's the Pfaff 130. I know it looks pretty rough, but will it clean up? Is it like most old machines and indestructible?

Then there's the Singer. Is it a 66? It looks a little rough, too. But for a minimum bid of $1.00, what can you lose (except space)?

Then, I've been wanting one of the really strong Japanese machines and there's a Good housekeeping.

Then, there's a Singer 538, a 645, a couple of Kenmores and two touch and sews. If it continues like this, they are virtually free. I think I may be getting a little carried away. Is this crazy to contemplate buying all these machines or is it crazy to pass them up at $1.50 each?

bkay

Cari-in-Oly 05-26-2016 04:51 PM

The first and the last pics are Japanese machines. For such low prices I'd buy them all too.

Cari

sewbizgirl 05-26-2016 05:11 PM

That Good Housekeeping is only going to be as strong as a belt-driven machine can be. The stronger machines have potted motors and are gear driven, rather than belt driven. Look for a Singer 201 or 301.

I know it's exciting to find such good deals, but ask yourself these questions:
* Do I have room for it?
* Am I willing to spend the time on it to clean it up and service it and find it a good home?
* Do I need it?

Remember, the things we own actually own us. Do you have time to take care of these machines, or might you rather be quilting?

cashs_mom 05-26-2016 05:18 PM

What are the shipping charges for the machines?

Grace creates 05-26-2016 05:22 PM

Do you have room for them or are they just going to go into a storage area in your home. Will you use them. These are the questions I would ask myself.

bkay 05-26-2016 05:32 PM

Thank you sewbizgirl. You have a point. I want the Pfaff and maybe the old singer.

I got the Lenco for $15.00 +15% buyers premium and taxes. I wanted one of those Japanese machines, so I'm pleased with the buy. I'd really like a pink one, so that might indicate I have a problem.

It's local, so you have to pick it up. It's about 15 miles away. But I also bought an edger, so the trip is not in vain.

I have until tomorrow morning to decide if I really want most of others. The Kenmore and GoodHouseKeeping don't go until next week.

Mariposa 05-26-2016 06:34 PM

Looks like a nice variety of machines. Hope you find a few you may want to tinker with. Also like the blue one in the cabinet~

ibex94 05-27-2016 04:22 AM

I am so glad you're rescuing those machines! My husband is sure glad that the auction is no where near us, lol. We would be overrun with machines pretty quickly!

ManiacQuilter2 05-27-2016 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Grace creates (Post 7560341)
Do you have room for them or are they just going to go into a storage area in your home. Will you use them. These are the questions I would ask myself.

I agree. If you don't use them, they can freeze up again.

tessagin 05-27-2016 05:59 AM

They never have anything like that locally here and I save my self money by not wanting to pay for shipping. Plus I don't have room and too old to get started now.