Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I Think I Might Be In Trouble! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-think-i-might-trouble-t253177.html)

DonnaFreak 09-06-2014 07:48 PM

I Think I Might Be In Trouble!

Howdy y'all :)

I only have two vintage machines. One is a FW 221, and the other is a 15 clone. Yet I find myself following this particular forum of the board with secretive plotting. Is this a sign of potential future "non-necessary" purchases? I think I may have issues.....

Donna

Cari-in-Oly 09-06-2014 08:39 PM

Oh, yes, if you even have to think about it you're already slipping down that slope, lol. Welcome!

Cari

Rach L. 09-06-2014 09:58 PM

LOL...you've caught the bug! :D

manicmike 09-07-2014 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak (Post 6877751)
I find myself following this particular forum of the board with secretive plotting. Is this a sign of potential future "non-necessary" purchases? I think I may have issues.....

Donna, it's an extremely rewarding and quite cheap hobby, and you're helping to save and re-use these beautiful old machines. Only problem is if you don't have anywhere to store them or you don't know how to fix things (ends up being expensive for things like re-wiring).
I have a use for nearly all of mine, and each one is better at some task or other. My VS2 is the buttonholer, the 201 is the best straight stitcher (in the world), the 320 is the embroidery free arm, the 96K for upholstery etc.

You have the bug already :thumbup: so welcome, and just so you know, there's no point asking us whether or not to buy a particular old machine. Someone else on QB rather amusingly likened it to asking a bar full of drunks "should I have another drink?" :D

miriam 09-07-2014 01:35 AM

Do you use the FW and the Singer 15? If so then you might like to collect something old like a Singer 403 or 503 to balance the ss machines.

Stitchit123 09-08-2014 06:33 AM

There are rules you have to keep in mind. Never-Ever say ''I only have'' (for ex.) 9 Vintage Ladies in a mixed crowd. The non-believers start plotting to carry you off in a butterfly net ''for your own good''. And they keep saying stupid things like ''How many can you use at once'. If or when this happens, you have to be quick with a confusing answer-(for ex.) they're for the cat. While they are trying to figure that out make your escape. But then again your family might not be as crazy as mine. They still don't know about the other 6. hehehe -I only have to get 11 more to complete the alphabet.

Rodney 09-08-2014 09:00 AM

That's an interesting angle on collecting: One for every letter of the alphabet. That could be fun.
My wife wonders at why I want so many. I think we're up to 14 or 15 now, I haven't counted. I keep them scattered around in different rooms. There's no way I want her to see them all at once. ;)
Rodney

Cari-in-Oly 09-08-2014 09:26 AM

I have so many now(35?) and they're all over the house so no one notices any more when I bring another one in.

Cari

quiltsRfun 09-08-2014 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak (Post 6877751)
Howdy y'all :)

I only have two vintage machines. One is a FW 221, and the other is a 15 clone. Yet I find myself following this particular forum of the board with secretive plotting. Is this a sign of potential future "non-necessary" purchases? I think I may have issues.....

Donna

Sounds exactly like me. I've had my eye on more than one 201 and Atlas (pink) machine. So far the price hasn't been right.

miriam 09-08-2014 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 6879771)
Sounds exactly like me. I've had my eye on more than one 201 and Atlas (pink) machine. So far the price hasn't been right.

That pink Atlas is a lot like a Morse...