Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Id Vintage Sewing Machine 1897 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/id-vintage-sewing-machine-1897-a-t307660.html)

Laurienov 10-26-2019 10:02 AM

Id Vintage Sewing Machine 1897

2 Attachment(s)
Hi! New here looking for help id'ing Grandma's sewing machine. Only marking I can find is on bobbin plate "Patented June 29, 1897. Here are some photos

Darcy Ashton 10-26-2019 05:19 PM

It's a beautiful machine, hope you figure out what it is.

Dressmaker 10-26-2019 05:57 PM

Try turning out the lights and shinning an ultra violet light on the sewing machine. In your photo I can just see the ghost of what was painted across the top. A u/v light might make it visible.

Steelsewing 10-26-2019 06:20 PM

An educated guess on my part, but it appears to be a "New Royal" Model A sewing machine manufactured by the Illinois Sewing Machine Company, circa 1915, but I could be wrong...

OurWorkbench 10-26-2019 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Laurienov (Post 8318624)
Hi! New here looking for help id'ing Grandma's sewing machine. Only marking I can find is on bobbin plate "Patented June 29, 1897. Here are some photos

I agree mostly with Steelsewing about being a "New Royal" but I think the "A" had a leaf tension on top. I believe it may be a "B" or possibly "SB."

The patent date just indicates the oldest it could be. I don't remember for how long patents were for during that time, but I believe it could be as long as 17 years, which would bring it close to Steelsewing's estimate.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

ETA: I did just see the "A" on ebay that did not have the leaf tension. I was going by needlebar about "Illinois Sewing Machine Company."

ETA: I also saw that "New Royal A" was a badge name for "Free"

leonf 10-27-2019 08:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You may know already that it is a vibrating shuttle machine. It should have a shuttle and bobbins to go into it like this under the front slide. If you don't see the shuttle, turn the hand wheel a bit and see if it apperars.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619018[/ATTACH]

juliasb 10-27-2019 09:22 AM

Very nice looking machine My sister has one that looks just like this and her's in early 1900's Her's is the "New Royal SB" The detail on the exterior casing table and tredal are the same.

maviskw 10-28-2019 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dressmaker (Post 8318753)
Try turning out the lights and shinning an ultra violet light on the sewing machine. In your photo I can just see the ghost of what was painted across the top. A u/v light might make it visible.

Try taking a flash picture of it. I took one of my old Singer and found a decal there which I couldn't see before.

themadpatter 11-03-2019 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dressmaker (Post 8318753)

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 8319529)
Try taking a flash picture of it. I took one of my old Singer and found a decal there which I couldn't see before.

Thank you both for these hints. I hadn't heard either of them, and can't wait to use them! I actually have an ultraviolet flashlight so I can do this, lol.

Laurienov 11-26-2019 03:49 PM

Thank you so much everyone! I just saw your responses today. (I guess you have to log in to see them where many blogs email you when there is a response.) :)