Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Identification help and threading (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/identification-help-threading-t293787.html)

dstclaire 01-03-2018 01:07 PM

Identification help and threading

9 Attachment(s)
I was given a machine that is probably 70's I'm not sure, but I don't know how to thread it or the actual make of it. It was in a black case(lined with red)with white trim. The machine it self says Dressmaker on front.On back Koyo machine Japan. Under it has a model # 3010. The one page I do have of the manual just says(front cover) dial n sew. The main question is, How do i thread it? I'm kinda confuse.
Hopefully I can upload some pictures to clarify.

Deenah[ATTACH=CONFIG]586519[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]586520[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]586521[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]586522[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]586523[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]586524[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]586525[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]586526[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]586527[/ATTACH]

dstclaire 01-03-2018 01:25 PM

sorry for the sideways pics,i'll try to fix it

dstclaire 01-03-2018 02:34 PM

here is a quick video

https://www.facebook.com/deenah.rae/...659305/?type=3

bkay 01-03-2018 03:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Nice machine. The upper threading is just like my Elgin 2468 (also White 2468). It's kind of weird the way it describes the way it goes through the tension, but once you get it, it's easy.

I'm not sure what kind of bobbin set up it has, as it has that free arm. I bought the manual online for $10.00. If you will open up the slide plate, and take a photo, we might be able to help you there as well.

Directions for upper threading:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586539[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]586540[/ATTACH]

Mickey2 01-03-2018 03:09 PM

With some search and persistence you will find the correct manual, until then you can try this approach;

Place a spool of thread on the spool pin, aim for the tensioner and look for thread guides along the way (hooks, loops, etc., some of the guides on top might be for the bobbin winder, with a bit of testing and trying you will figure it out). You model takes twin needles, and thats why there's two separate thread guides above the tensioner. Make sure the thread goes inbetween the disk. I'm guessing there's three disks in yours (to keep two threads in place) Then aim for the take-up lever, and next the needle, still looking for thread guides along the way.

The bobbin case are often very forgiving on these, but there is usually a correct way to insert the bobbin; make sure it goes properly into the tension spring.

For cleaning and oiling; the top of the freearm comes off, as well as the top of the machine and I guess the face plate in hinged. All gears, levers, hinges, joints, where metal moves against metal needs a drop or two of oil. Turn the hand wheel as you look down the top lid and you will easily detect the oil pionts. Turn and push in buttons, levers etc., there's oil points behind them too.

bkay 01-03-2018 03:25 PM

The reason it threads like my Elgin 2468, is that it's made by the same Japanese manufacturer, Koyo. Japanese manufacturers often made sewing machines for several different sellers (department stores, dealers, etc.). So, you might see the same sewing machine with several different names (badges) on it.

I would suggest you buy a manual for it. They go from $5.00 to $10.00 each. You can look under Dressmaker, but go by the drawing on the front and buy the one that matches your machine. My manual says "Instruction Book Model 2468". (The manual I bought for my Lenco machine says, Sewmor 711 on it.) I got the Elgin 2468 manual from Manualsoncd.com as a download for $4.99, but there are lots of manual sellers out there. It will give you pictures of where to oil, etc.

bkay

dstclaire 01-03-2018 05:26 PM

amazing! what great help you have been. Any clue as to what the actual brand may be? I can not find anything.

bkay 01-03-2018 07:25 PM

It was manufactured by Koyo. The actual brand is Dressmaker. There are many sewing machines branded as Dressmakers.

bkay