Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I'm beginning to see the attraction to handcranks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/im-beginning-see-attraction-handcranks-t246516.html)

Mrs. SewNSew 05-08-2014 08:48 PM

I'm beginning to see the attraction to handcranks

2 Attachment(s)
Grrr... Yet another machine that will need full re-wiring! I just finished working on my Singer 15-125 getting the motor cleaned up and then completely re-wired. I started working on a Gritzner Kaiser White brand machine today. It's a great machine and pretty clean but needs full re-wire. I'm not even nervous about taking the motor apart. These little lamps are a pain in the bum though! I have both a cracked wire up near the lamp and gooey wiring in the terminal.

This machine also has some strange attachments in the terminal. The incoming wires have connectors I haven't seen before. I am thinking remove them and just solder the new wires in place. That would work right?

manicmike 05-08-2014 09:46 PM

OK Christy, here's a challenge:Using a hand crank, simply wind yourself a full bobbin then come back and say you really want one again :p

ThayerRags 05-09-2014 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew (Post 6709641)
I'm beginning to see the attraction to handcranks .... another machine that will need full re-wiring!

There’s a certain amount of truth to that. Several handcrank machines are around because they needed re-wired to remain electric.....

CD in Oklahoma

Mrs. SewNSew 05-09-2014 04:41 AM

OK. Good point! Hi ho! Hi ho! It's off to solder I go!

miriam 05-09-2014 07:00 AM

I love sewing on my hand cranks.

Mrs. SewNSew 05-09-2014 09:23 AM

I know I WILL want a handcrank in my stable eventually. ;) They are just so sweet and unassuming.

ArchaicArcane 05-10-2014 04:14 PM

There's something funny about a hand crank too. People can't help "cranking" them. When I gave that class last month, people were cranking on the one hand crank I brought like crazy. :)

ETA: Perhaps you could enlist small children to wind the bobbins ;)

manicmike 05-10-2014 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew (Post 6710236)
They are just so sweet and unassuming.

Yes, I do miss the 15 clone I sold a year or so ago. They're something you could just take it camping with you to do some work or just for emergency repairs.
I do like Miriam's idea about child slavery for the bobbins. Kids do love cranking them, as do adults (until they have to wind a bobbin).

oldsewnsew 05-10-2014 04:33 PM

I have at least 3 usually out where i can get to 'em easy. I bet I go sping the crank of one at least 3-4 times a day. It's kind of a meditation. I don't even mind winding bobbins, because somewhere I read that winding them slow as possible is best, and nothings slower than by hand. But then again, I don't see as much as other folks. I also like getting a feel for how easily I can get them to turn and how quietly.

miriam 05-10-2014 05:12 PM

Yes they do walk up and crank them.