Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I'm getting a Featherweight for Christmas! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/im-getting-featherweight-christmas-t233638.html)

Jennifer23 10-30-2013 03:39 PM

I'm getting a Featherweight for Christmas!

1 Attachment(s)
I'm so excited - I found a 222k on Kijiji yesterday, made a deal on it, and my parents picked it up this afternoon! Sadly it's in their city, so I won't see it until Christmas, but my dad says it looks like it was well taken care of. My mom is going to oil it up, and try it out tonight.

This is Lucille, named after the lady I bought it from:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]444117[/ATTACH]

My biggest worry is that my mom will fall in love with it, and we'll have to fight for custody (it's happened with sewing machines before). :)

I think it looks a bit beat up, but I'll have to wait and see. I don't know what to hope for in regard to the asbestos floor tile samples on the extension bed; I'm assuming it's just a box she kept the attachments in...

I'm not very good at waiting for Christmas, and I think this year is going to be even harder than most!

barri1 10-30-2013 03:46 PM

Awesome new toy.. Hope the custody fight won't happen.. I can understand if it does..

Redsquirrel 10-30-2013 08:58 PM

I'm very excited for you. Am curious if you would share what you were able to get it for? But I understand if you want to keep that private.

Jennifer23 10-30-2013 09:49 PM

Redsquirrel: I think I got a great deal - $125. She was asking $100, and I offered $150, but she felt that was too much since she hadn't had it serviced in years, so I didn't argue.

Barri1: I spoke to my mom tonight, and although we laughed about her keeping it, it sounds like she wants to pass it on to me so that she can tease me about having more machines than her. The custody battles usually get settled on that sort of basis. :)

Ellietow 10-30-2013 10:09 PM

I think you got a fantastic deal! Congrats!

manicmike 10-30-2013 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 (Post 6378128)
Redsquirrel: I think I got a great deal - $125. She was asking $100, and I offered $150, but she felt that was too much since she hadn't had it serviced in years, so I didn't argue.

Wow! That's really cheap, particularly for N. America! You paid way less than what it's worth.

nanna-up-north 10-31-2013 04:19 AM

Congrats.... yes, you got an amazing deal. 222s usually go way much higher. You're going to love it once you get it home with you.....

profannie 10-31-2013 05:33 AM

Wow! What a great deal for a 222! In Montreal, 221 sell for 150-175$. Never saw any 222 here, but there was one once in Ottawa; they were asking 300$ fot it and the ad didn't stayed for long.
I'm curious about the Asbestos box: it`s a region from Quebec. Maybe they were exporting titles in the '50? In my FW case, there was a First Aid autokit from Johnson & Johnson; pretty box in white and blue.

pinkcastle 10-31-2013 05:54 AM

Congratulations! What a find! I bet you're doing the happy dance!

Cecilia S. 10-31-2013 06:10 AM

Jennifer, that is lovely! It looks as thought it has been very well-loved, and I am sure the lady is happy to see it go to a good home.

What is more torturous than anticipating what might be inside a wrapped present box? Knowing what is inside the bos and not being able to have it for two months! ;-) The good torturous, though. Enjoy your excitement and anticipation.

And the asbestos tiles? That's easy. You spread 'em out beneath your stitcher, and it keeps you from setting the joint on fire when you start sewing at full throttle. This was before the days of fire-proof fabrics, after all... :D