Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I'm new to sewing/treadling and looking for help. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/im-new-sewing-treadling-looking-help-t172584.html)

Treadle_Boots 12-19-2011 07:56 PM

Lol I have been looking through CL for a Singer because I found they had lots of info available. I was looking at a Red Eye model and one that has a Sphinx year 1903.

Charlee 12-19-2011 08:36 PM

Boots, I see what you mean, and yes, I think your cable is either too long, or it's "threaded" incorrectly. The only machine I have that has a "cable" lift is actually a chain....but it's not a New Home.
Helpful, aren't I? LOL Wish I could send the spousal unit to you...he'd have it figured out and fixed in a jiffy!!

Treadle_Boots 12-19-2011 09:46 PM

I was thinking maybe someone had replaced it with to long of a cable, so I thought ok i'll just cut some of it off no biggie. Both ends of the cable has a pressed on cap? My husband says there has to have been another pulley some where because theres about 2-3 inchs of slack. Im thinking I will pick a good spot underneath and add one in. Are there any suggestions or tips anyone has? Im going to fix that cable and begin the machine cleaning in the morning.

Treadle_Boots 12-19-2011 09:54 PM

Oh yea Charlee I will have to remember "spousal unit". I think my husband was as excited about it as me. When I brought it home I couldnt get the foot plate?, not sure of the name, to move and I thought maybe it was gummed up. 20 seconds later I hear it purring and hes underneath on his hands and knees playing with the pedal, it was zip tied.:o

Painiacs 12-19-2011 09:57 PM

Congratulations!!!

gma7 12-20-2011 07:03 AM

Love your treadles- I have several.

gma7 12-20-2011 07:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]296635[/ATTACH] This is one of them

Treadle_Boots 12-20-2011 08:10 AM

gma7 that ones really pretty, the design kind of reminds me of peacock feathers. Thank you painiacs.

redbugsullivan 12-20-2011 08:47 AM

I restored one just like it for my MIL. It was her grandmother's. The cable/cord is clamped at the end under the machine. There is a nut you can pull through more to adjust. Question, how does the board at the rear move? Or does it? The hinge system is the key to figuring this out. As everyone has stated, that board supports the head so the cable doesn't have to. I have some pics that may help. Let me know if you need them.

Sweet little machine. After I sewed on her, my National paled in comparison. It's like a Cadillac. Great investment!

redbugsullivan 12-20-2011 08:52 AM

After reading your post some more, I understand what you are seeing. The cord/cable has stretched. There is no pulley. ISMACS has some great pics in their machine archives. Could your DH undo one end, carefully pry off the cap, cut and reinstall it?