Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I'm so lucky... found a FW for 40$ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/im-so-lucky-found-fw-40%24-t230410.html)

profannie 09-16-2013 04:49 PM

I'm so lucky... found a FW for 40$

After finding a very nice Bernina 730 record a week ago, luck hit me again this morning. I was, as usual, working on my computer, becoming bored, etc. The ad that catch my eye was saying something like: "Old singer sewing machine from the '50" I recognize the case, so I clicked on it. It was very laconic (usually the sign of somebody not knowing what he/she is selling): "Antique sewing machine. Need adjustment. Very rare!" From the picture, there was no visible missing part. Anyway, for 40$, I could manage some! It was two hours and half drive from my home, but I have a young brother living there and he is on parental leave this week so I gave him a call. He was very doubtful at first ("Really? You want to buy a old sewing machine like that?") I told him these sold for 250-300$ on ebay. He understood right away my interest :D He told me he was going to take care of it and sent me a mail two hours later telling me he it was now in his hands. Yippeee!
I'm very excited about this "mysterious" FW that I now own but haven't seen yet. I'll ask my brother tomorrow to take some pics of it because I don't think I'll be able to wait for three weeks to go get it (I have a weekend at my brother's house already planned).

momto5 09-16-2013 05:12 PM

You better play the lottery while you're on your hot streak! WOW!!!!

Sideways 09-16-2013 05:54 PM

Congrats!!! What a good brother you have!!

Akweiland 09-16-2013 07:25 PM

Lucky Lady!!! Show us some pictures once you get it!

manicmike 09-17-2013 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 6298057)
Congrats!!! What a good brother you have!!

When I read that my first thought was of a 1959 Brother Galaxie. Maybe I should settle down a bit. :rolleyes:

jaybraueir 09-17-2013 02:10 AM

Wow, really your a lucky one :thumbup:

Debbie C 09-17-2013 03:10 AM

Congrats on an amazing find!! You are going to love your FW - I'm working on lap quilts for Christmas presents on mine right now and they (I own three) always put me in a good frame of mind.

jojo47 09-17-2013 05:27 AM

Lucky you! I bought a FW on an on-line auction for my sister last spring and delivered it to her this summer. It sews, but I think it has the wrong bobbin, as it gets birds' nests underneath. My DH purchased another FW from some friends (they go to a lot of estate sales)...He told our friend HE would buy it and I could use it ( :)). Then, in late August, one of my coworkers (who had been GIVEN a FW!) offered to sell it to me for what I paid for the one I got for my sister. It was a no-brainer, because the FW she was given had ALL the attachments, several bobbins, the manual (and even some old thread!). I told my sister about it, and a bit of history (the original owner had purchased it in WW II). My sister response was "Can I sell the one you brought out, and buy this one?" I told her yes...and then told my coworker what I had done. She wanted to know why I wasn't keeping it...told her DH had already got one I could use, and my sister liked the historical bit of hers....AND I assured her my sis would take as good care of the machine as I would.

mighty 09-17-2013 06:42 AM

Congrats, really great deal!

Cecilia S. 09-17-2013 06:43 AM

Profannie, you have wonderful luck!!!

Am very excited for you. :-)