Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Imagine my surprise! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/imagine-my-surprise-t305895.html)

juliasb 07-22-2019 07:49 AM

Imagine my surprise!

I decided to re-check the serial number on my old treadle. I always went by the date on the plate. Which I found out today was a replacement part.
When I looked up the serial number on my machine I was in shock! Me who has been restoring machines for years. I got lazy with this last machine since I only did this one about 10+ years ago. (I went on a binge 35 years ago to restore machines).
Anyway when I looked up the serial number (4,324,958) I discovered this machine was much older than I thought. It came out of the factory around 1861! I checked 3 different sources. There is no letter in the serial number. I feel a bit foolish for not checking thoroughly years ago. I am glad however that I did check it now!

Schill93 07-22-2019 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb (Post 8279740)
I decided to re-check the serial number on my old treadle. I always went by the date on the plate. Which I found out today was a replacement part.
When I looked up the serial number on my machine I was in shock! Me who has been restoring machines for years. I got lazy with this last machine since I only did this one about 10+ years ago. (I went on a binge 35 years ago to restore machines).
Anyway when I looked up the serial number (4,324,958) I discovered this machine was much older than I thought. It came out of the factory around 1861! I checked 3 different sources. There is no letter in the serial number. I feel a bit foolish for not checking thoroughly years ago. I am glad however that I did check it now!

How old were you thinking it was? By the way, how does it run?

leonf 07-22-2019 08:45 AM

is it a 12? pics maybe? Congrats.

miniquilts 07-22-2019 09:45 AM

How exciting for you! Congratulations on taking the time to check it out now -- do you mind us asking what type/model she is?

juliasb 07-22-2019 10:12 AM

I thought it was a 1905 model because the plate was dated with several dates so I figured it had to be the youngest date which was 1905. Older dates on the plate went back to the mid 1800's
It runs great!! I have used it a number of times for quilt making and garment making. I just recently oiled her all up and replaced the belt. It is a very quiet machine all the way around and doesn't miss a stitch.

juliasb 07-22-2019 10:16 AM

I could not find the model number on it I could be looking in the wrong place. It looks to be a 201 but I wouldn't take a bet on it. The decals are not in prime shape but they are in very good shape. I posted a pic of her a while back ago. I will have to see if I can find it. It is a Singer btw.

juliasb 07-22-2019 10:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of it. It took me only a moment to find the pic.

leonf 07-22-2019 10:45 AM

hmmm I am thinking you still don't have a proper ID yet. This looks like a 66 to me. They came along in the 1900s. Models aren't on the machines

miniquilts 07-22-2019 11:56 AM

She may not be "prime" as you put it, but she's still pretty to me as a newbie! Also, have to say if she works so well as you've said, to me that's all that would matter. :)

Macybaby 07-22-2019 12:25 PM

It's most certainly not from 1861. This is a "New Family" or 15 machine - or possibly 115, and Singer was not making them that early.

Leon, notice where the tension is located - for sure not 66