Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Improved New Companion Treadle - 1910 - needle help needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/improved-new-companion-treadle-1910-needle-help-needed-t280515.html)

HiDesertQuilter 07-17-2016 12:20 PM

Improved New Companion Treadle - 1910 - needle help needed

1 Attachment(s)
I am trying to figure out what needles will fit this machine. I just found one broken, rusty needle in the cabinet and it is longer than a regular needle. Dang! In the owners manual is says, 'when you order needles give the numbers on the front slide plate in front of the needle'.
Ok, here is the number: 18 313 29
Here is a picture of my machine head:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554121[/ATTACH]
It and the cabinet are going to be cleaned up and made beautiful again but I just wanted to see it stitch. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

HiDesertQuilter 07-17-2016 12:48 PM

The old rusty needle (if it had its eye and point) is probably 1/4" longer than a Schmetz. And the top has a flat side just like Schmetz and Singer needles do

HiDesertQuilter 07-17-2016 04:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just found an old needle in the cabinet. It measures 1 7/8" long! I have laid it next to a Schmetz needle for comparison. And managed to get a picture of the writing on the shank.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554149[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554151[/ATTACH]

quiltsRfun 07-17-2016 05:01 PM

You say the head and machine need to be cleaned? Looks pretty nice to me in the present state. Bet she'll really shine when you give her a once over. Hope those needles aren't too hard to find.

pennycandy 07-17-2016 07:00 PM

She is in nice shape. I can see that the long needle says Davis SM co 3. That number may be more helpful than the number on the plate. My knowledge on these older machines is very limited. If no one can answer your question here, you may be able to get answers at the Victorian Sweatshop forum.

miriam 07-18-2016 03:01 AM

Jon sells needles on eBay. He is a QB member and you could pm.

ndnchf 07-18-2016 03:20 AM

Bessie Stevens has been very helpful to me in identifying and selling the proper needles for old and obscure machines. Her email is [email protected].

roserips 07-19-2016 11:58 AM

Such pretty decals on her. I think that is one of the things I enjoy most on these old ladies is their beautiful decals and how they stand the stress of time.

jlhmnj 07-19-2016 09:19 PM

Beautiful INC. The needle in the photo is a "Davis Long", also known as Boye #10 and a bunch of others. Avoid the "Davis Old Style", a round shanked needle which is similar. The #3 represents the size which might be a size 19 or metric 120. The numbering systems changed over time. Improved New Companion is a Davis model D probably made right around 1910. Later Model D's used 15x1 needles.

HiDesertQuilter 07-25-2016 07:06 AM

I am so happy jlhmnj! I obtained some Boye #10...Davis Long needles, made a few tension adjustments on my machine and it sews like a dream! Thank you for all your help everyone! When I get it all cleaned up I will post pictures.