Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Introdocing Rizzo, my latest fixer upper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/introdocing-rizzo-my-latest-fixer-upper-t169132.html)

Bennett 11-20-2011 08:45 AM

Introdocing Rizzo, my latest fixer upper

2 Attachment(s)
She wasn't really a bad girl...just a little rough around the edges. I couldn't resist all that chrome, and she was less than $10. No power cord, but then we all have our problems.

It wasn't until I opened her up and saw all the black stuff--not grease, looked and felt like splattered melted plastic--that I asked her what she'd been up to.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]289430[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]289432[/ATTACH]

Bennett 11-20-2011 08:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
And so she got all scrubbed up with new clothes. Runs like a charm! I'm going to make a jean circle quilt for a baby boy on her since she's got zigzag. I was fixing her up to sell, but Rizzo may be sticking around a bit. Girl's got a bit of a wild side to her, as you can tell. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]289433[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]289435[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]289436[/ATTACH]

miriam 11-20-2011 08:54 AM

I like her wild side. Cleaned up nice. Those Japanese machines are nice. Cheap. Last almost forever. Can be repaired. Go Green!!!

Bennett 11-20-2011 08:57 AM

Hmm...green. I was going to say I don't have a machine that color and to quit giving me subliminal ideas, but the Elna is still wanting her turn on the work table. :D

miriam 11-20-2011 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett (Post 4701636)
Hmm...green. I was going to say I don't have a machine that color and to quit giving me subliminal ideas, but the Elna is still wanting her turn on the work table. :D

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...n-t133897.html in case you missed the rant...

crafty pat 11-20-2011 09:05 AM

Lucky find. Enjoy.

vintagemotif 11-20-2011 01:15 PM

NICE! I like the way you cleaned up Rizzo's box and lid. Clever! Have you tried to treadle her machine? I would, if it can be done.

I say keep Rizzo!!

Nanamoms 11-20-2011 01:34 PM

Oh, Oh, I'm going to get my Mama's Universal. She's in a cabinet with drawers stuffed full. Cabinet is a desk style and I don't think she's very old...maybe not quite vintage yet. She's been sitting since my Mama passed over 10 years ago so just don't know what shape she's in but I know she'll be glad to be out in the open and used.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your Rizzo!!

Bennett 11-20-2011 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4701664)

I remember reading that and enjoying bits about re-making clothing. Reminded me of the 1st nice full length wool coat I ever bought myself. Found it at a garage sale, beautiful navy blue, classic, perfect length for my 5 feet nuthin' self. The only reason they were selling it was the sleeve seam was ripped. Easy fix and I had my 1st "grown-up" coat in college. :)

Bennett 11-20-2011 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 4702490)
NICE! I like the way you cleaned up Rizzo's box and lid. Clever! Have you tried to treadle her machine? I would, if it can be done.

I say keep Rizzo!!

I think the case took more work than the machine. The hardest part was getting the paper off the inside. I used my little portable clothes steamer and a scraper--just like taking off wallpaper. I also had to replace the 2 side pieces of her base. I couldn't get the old latches off without tearing them up, and they were just held in with rusty staples. I was also just going to put black felt on the bottom, but they were out of black and white when I went to the store. They had some thin craft foam that works really well (can't slide it around at all!), but no plain black or white. On a whim I got the zebra print. I think it suits her, the wild child.

I haven't measured to see if she'd fit my Singer treadle base...yet. :)