Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Just purchased three vintage machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/just-purchased-three-vintage-machines-t229912.html)

Sunflowerzz 09-10-2013 05:50 PM

Just purchased three vintage machines

3 Attachment(s)
I am really new at this and just purchased a White model 162 in baby blue, a Pfaff model #230 and a Elna Supermatic. I copied several great tutorials on how to clean them up and am anxious to get started. I have concerns for the Pfaff though because not only is it FILTHY but it is flaking something terrible. Probably a shiny new protective clear coat when it was new. The whole machine is flaking. If I rub it or move it there is a pile of flakes. I want to clean all of this stuff off. There is one area where the paint has rubbed off too. This machine is the worst of the three. They all need cosmetic help and a major going over but the Pfaff had the least care over the years I'am afraid. I only purchased the Pfaff because it was in a cabinet I liked. But after reading all I could I think it may become my favorite. Any help on how to go about cleaning the flakes would be greatly appreciated. :eek:

tessagin 09-10-2013 06:02 PM

If you want to get the flakes off, start with a stiff scrub brush and just lightly brush off the excess then try a little baking soda and some dish soap or just the baking soda. Rub lightly as you with a soft cloth or one of those micro fiber eraser. Showed it to DH and he thinks it's just clear coat. Just take your time with it.

Vridar 09-10-2013 06:12 PM

Your avatar had me and my wife excited until we realized it was an avatar. Cute!!!

Akweiland 09-10-2013 06:45 PM

Congrats on your purchases! I picked up three treadle heads in August and have not started cleaning them up yet!

Sunflowerzz 09-10-2013 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar (Post 6285951)
Your avatar had me and my wife excited until we realized it was an avatar. Cute!!!

Thanks for the replies I will try all of the ideas. I fell in love with that little animated avatar. It is a free one but I cant remember where I got it.

Tippysmom 09-11-2013 03:51 AM

LOL! I tried like crazy to smoosh that bug!

ETA. I found a site that has this avatar.

redmadder 09-11-2013 04:51 AM

I almost swatted the screen! Congratulations! A Pfaff is on my radar.

mighty 09-11-2013 08:29 AM

Congrats, enjoy!

momto5 09-11-2013 12:59 PM

I was just fixin' to call my bug man back when I realized your Avatar was NOT real....cute! And welcome to the Board!

Sunflowerzz 09-11-2013 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Akweiland (Post 6285979)
Congrats on your purchases! I picked up three treadle heads in August and have not started cleaning them up yet!

Well lets start together, like tomorrow and see how we do.

Originally Posted by Tippysmom (Post 6286230)
LOL! I tried like crazy to smoosh that bug!

ETA. I found a site that has this avatar.

Thank you for finding it. it is fun. Maybe more of the little critters will start showing up...mines lonely. :D

Originally Posted by redmadder (Post 6286373)
I almost swatted the screen! Congratulations! A Pfaff is on my radar.

It does move realistically don't it!

Originally Posted by mighty (Post 6286938)
Congrats, enjoy!

Thank you. I think I will once I learn how to clean and repair them.

Originally Posted by momto5 (Post 6287472)
I was just fixin' to call my bug man back when I realized your Avatar was NOT real....cute! And welcome to the Board!

Thank you, Geez I sure hope no one ruins their screen because of my avatar.:eek: