Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Keep me from serger murder! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/keep-me-serger-murder-t270696.html)

Sewnoma 10-06-2015 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7336878)
Which one is it?

I'm at work, so I'm not positive - I remember it has "SH" in the model number so Google is making me think it's the 14SH654? The picture it comes up with looks right, I think. It's still in its original box...a garment sewing friend of mine got it free on Craigslist, certain she could make it work, and had no luck. So now it's mine. Lucky me? LOL

bearisgray 10-06-2015 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 7337406)
I'm at work, so I'm not positive - I remember it has "SH" in the model number so Google is making me think it's the 14SH654? The picture it comes up with looks right, I think. It's still in its original box...a garment sewing friend of mine got it free on Craigslist, certain she could make it work, and had no luck. So now it's mine. Lucky me? LOL

Thank you for responding. I am not familiar with that one.

I did buy a Singer 14T968DC at a yard sale last winter - I was doing fine with the threading until two steps before threading the needles. After I unscrewed the piece(s) where I was having a problem, I figured out what to do! The threads were supposed to slide between two pieces of metal - and I did not "get" that from the threading description.

This model does do a lot - and after I finally figured out/understood the threading instructions - one does need to read and follow the detailed instructions carefully - it seems to work well and do a lot of different things.

I bought it for the mock cover-stitch.

tropit 10-07-2015 06:36 AM

I have 2 sergers and I hate them both with a passion. I didn't murder them, but I gave them, "life without the possibility of parole." They're packed away in the shed. I should really sell them, but honestly, I can't even stand to look at them.

~C

bearisgray 10-07-2015 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 7338482)
I have 2 sergers and I hate them both with a passion. I didn't murder them, but I gave them, "life without the possibility of parole." They're packed away in the shed. I should really sell them, but honestly, I can't even stand to look at them.

~C

put them on craigslist.com

gmcsewer 10-09-2015 07:23 AM

I have had three problems with getting a serger to sew. One was the wrong needle. Mine needed a special slightly shorter needle. Next problem. Always take all thread out of the lower part. Then thread starting from the bottom. Something about the way they get wound around when you turn the wheel to thread the upper looper it seems. Next, We sewed a sample and checked which thread was not sewing properly. Took that tension assembly apart and the spring was not set correctly. Also lint in the bottom can cause problems. Have you tried sewing on the onesy with a piece of tissue paper or stabilizer. Or vary the width of the stitch. Or try a three-thread stitch.
Hope you can get it conquered. They work wonderfully when they work.

DACO48 10-09-2015 08:15 PM

My suggestion would also be a bent looper. Had it happen to me once.

Chasing Hawk 10-09-2015 08:17 PM

Where do we bail you out at?

Irishrose2 10-09-2015 09:24 PM

Put me in the next cell. I have a Singer serger here that belongs to my church and we want to use it for a bazaar project. Threaded correctly, but no stitch. I haven't checked the needles. And, yes, I do know how to thread one. Mine has a bent looper so it's out of service. I'm about ready to replace the looper on mine with one from this machine. I know mine will sew.

Monroe 10-11-2015 05:31 AM

Do we need a mobil Serger Syndome Support Squad for interventions?