Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Kenmore 158-10301, pristine condition (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/kenmore-158-10301-pristine-condition-t269213.html)

SewExtremeSeams 08-25-2015 02:48 PM

Kenmore 158-10301, pristine condition

7 Attachment(s)
Here is the machine I brought home yesterday. It is light weight and sews like a dream! It had been recently, professionally serviced. The hard shelled case is in great condition and not a scratch on the machine. It came with plenty of presser feet. It doesn't have a zipper foot but I have plenty that will work with this also. I found an online manual and printed it out. I like it that it uses class 15 bobbins, plenty of those on hand with my Singer 221, 301a, and 401a machines. It seems to have been made in 1970 or 1971. Fantastic length on cord that plugs in: 80" long!

J Miller 08-25-2015 03:42 PM

SewExtremeSeams,

Ummmm, FW's, 301's, and 401a's do not use Class 15 bobbins. But they are common. Just make sure to buy good ones.

We've bid on those smaller light weight Kenmores a few times, but been outbid every time.

Joe

Rodney 08-25-2015 04:12 PM

Congrats on getting your Kenmore! My understanding is those machines are very popular like the 301s and featherweights are for people who are traveling to sew.
Rodney

SewExtremeSeams 08-25-2015 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 7297439)
SewExtremeSeams,

Ummmm, FW's, 301's, and 401a's do not use Class 15 bobbins. But they are common. Just make sure to buy good ones.

We've bid on those smaller light weight Kenmores a few times, but been outbid every time.

Joe

Ooops, my embarrassed. Well, I do have Class 15 bobbins for some of my other vintage machines. You can easily tell I am not an expert. LOL :D

Candace 08-25-2015 05:37 PM

One suggestion. If you plan on keeping it in good condition, don't use the bobbin winder. It's the weak point of the machine and is made of pot metal that fractures over time with use. Many of these series models have broken bobbin winders and they're no longer available as replacements. I make sure that whenever I use my machine I have a bunch of bobbins wound already(if I leave home) and use either another machine to wind them or a Sidewinder.

miriam 08-25-2015 05:57 PM

I have one but it is missing the little tool box.

brandeesmom 08-25-2015 06:55 PM

Congrats on getting your new machine. These little Kenmore machines are great. If you are not using the machine I would like to suggest that you keep it covered as for some reason the area where the little pull out drawer is tends to turn a very icky yellow color. I don't know why this happens, but I have seen it happen to many of these.

SewExtremeSeams 08-26-2015 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by brandeesmom (Post 7297598)
Congrats on getting your new machine. These little Kenmore machines are great. If you are not using the machine I would like to suggest that you keep it covered as for some reason the area where the little pull out drawer is tends to turn a very icky yellow color. I don't know why this happens, but I have seen it happen to many of these.

I had this happen on the plastic on the back of my 70s Bernina Record. I know what you are talking about. Thank you.

Thank you Candace for your suggestion on not using the bobbin winder.

Caroline94535 08-26-2015 09:46 AM

What a darling machine!

I love the minimalism design of the machine, and the fancy embossed roses on the cover.

SewExtremeSeams 08-26-2015 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline94535 (Post 7298225)
What a darling machine!

I love the minimalism design of the machine, and the fancy embossed roses on the cover.

Yes, I think that is what attracted me to this machine. I need to see if I can clean up that case a little.