Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Kenmore 158.18033 Trouble with the machine driving (?) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/kenmore-158-18033-trouble-machine-driving-t189087.html)

mvjess 05-15-2012 12:59 PM

Kenmore 158.18033 Trouble with the machine driving (?)

Hi. I have a Kenmore 158.18033. I just brought home from a consignment shop. It was a bit dirty, but cleaned up nice and had all the bells and whistles for attachments, cams, monograms, button holers, etc. I was hoping to use it as my permanent button-holer machine. (and the attachments on my other 158 models.) Here is the issue: The power to the machine works. I can see things moving under the carriage but the needle doesn't raise and lower unless the hand wheel is turned by hand. I removed the hand wheel and side panel to see what was going on as I thought there was a belt broken, perhaps. THe 2verticle tractor-like treaded belts are intact. The lower one moves readily but the upper one is less reliable when pressing on the foot pedal.
Even when it does get cranking around it does not turn the horizontal bar that goes to the needle bar, to raise and lower the needle. Anyone have an idea as to what may be the fix for this dilemma? Is the changing of the upper belt something I should be able to handle myself, if that is the fix? Thanks for your input! Cheers, Cathy vJ in MA

J Miller 05-15-2012 02:22 PM

Cathy,

Without being able the see the machine here's my take on what you said. (Pics of the hand wheel end and bottom would be a lot of help.)

The main drive belt has become worn and probably stretched. If it's not cracked you should be able to adjust it.
There should be either screws or a cam like affair on the motor mount that moves the motor away or towards the top shaft. You'll see it either when you pull the end plate off and or when you turn the machine on it's side.

If so then carefully tighten the belt a little bit. Leave some slack, you don't want it too tight.
If you can remove the belt from the main shaft when you remove the hand wheel, and there's nothing in the way down below, you can replace it yourself.

Some of them however require a lot of dissassembly just to get the belt off. I won't even touch one of those. Well, not yet anyway.

Also while you're in there, oil it reallllllllly good.

Joe

jlhmnj 05-15-2012 05:59 PM

Like Joe says it probably just needs a good oiling and lube. Find a manual and oil / lube according to chart. Old oil gums up the machines and makes them real sluggish.

Jon

mvjess 05-16-2012 12:54 AM

Thanks, Joe.
I will start w/ the oil, then tighten , then order a new belt if still needed. I appreciate your input.
Cheers, Cathy vJ in MA

mvjess 05-16-2012 12:55 AM

THanks Jon, I will try that! Cheers, Cathy vJ in MA

mvjess 05-16-2012 09:58 PM

Kenmore 158.18033 Trouble with the machine driving = FIXED, TY!

Hi All.
Joe and Jon, a huge thank-you for your help on this posted querry! I oiled the machine following the diagrams from SewUSA.com. Starting with the bobbin area, proceeding to the top and Needle take-up bar and finally to the base of the machine. I righted the machine up and sure enough ...It was fixed! Runs smooth and quiet as can be and seems to have alot of zip! I am a HAPPY CAMPER! (No needing to order parts and change belts!) Thank-you Gentlemen for wisdom sharing and guidance!
Cheers, Cathy vJ in MA