Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Kenmore 1802 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/kenmore-1802-a-t248640.html)

w1613s 06-18-2014 05:46 AM

Kenmore 1802

Just inherited the machine and, from what I can tell at this point, every part ever made for it. I do have the manual as well as a packet with 10 information cards about some of the many feet. The parts come in a tower with 3 trays. There is one very small spot of rust at the edge of the right hand side of what the manual calls the nomenclature plate. Otherwise it looks as though it is right off the showroom floor. No dirt, no dust, and almost unbelievably - no lint or threads. It simply does not look as though it was ever used, forget uncovered. I have no "story" on this machine's life before it got to me and am looking for information, stories, suggestions, and "for heaven's sake, do not dos."

I don't know why this machine makes me so shy, but it does. Your intelligent, experienced input will be greatly appreciated and carefully followed.

Thanks for holding my hand.

Pat

mlmack 06-18-2014 04:50 PM

Well, you have inherited a really nice machine.

I picked up the same machine from Craigslist, and it too came with all of the goodies. I'd just run it through all the settings and make sure everything works. On mine, the zig zag didn't work, so I had to oil and manipulate the mechanism to free it up.

brandeesmom 06-18-2014 09:15 PM

You have inherited a wonderful machine, and what a plus to get all of the attachments with it. Enjoy it and use it!

psychonurse 06-19-2014 04:00 AM

I bought this same machine last month. the tray with the accessories, is referred to " as the tower of power"/ I did have to replace the bobbin winder mechanism, it crumbled into pieces. Now to replace the light bulb holder. There is a U tube video regarding this machine. I plan to make a sample using all the different feet and the monogrammer.
share what you discover when using it. Also to thread the bobbin, it goes from front to back
on the bobbin winder tension disc, the picture appears just the opposite in the manual, but doesn't work that way.

Macybaby 06-19-2014 04:26 AM

That series are fun machines. I had to get one just because of all the fun attachments that come with it.

J Miller 06-19-2014 06:38 AM

I know a lot about Kenmores, but I don't know the model numbers without the manufacturers code.

How about telling me what the entire model number is? Like xxx-1802x??

That would help me know what we are talking about. I might want one too, they sound like a fun machine.

Joe

singerguy 06-19-2014 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6764934)
I know a lot about Kenmores, but I don't know the model numbers without the manufacturers code.

How about telling me what the entire model number is? Like xxx-1802x??

That would help me know what we are talking about. I might want one too, they sound like a fun machine.

Joe

or posting a picture is better. that's the rule here - when you get a new machine, post pics.

path49 06-19-2014 09:20 AM

It's a 158, Joe.

J Miller 06-19-2014 01:18 PM

OK, very similar to my 158-15570.

Joe

Jamesbeat 06-20-2014 04:07 AM

Nice machine. Can I ask a question?
Is the body of the machine cast iron or aluminum?
It will be obvious if it is cast iron, because the machine will be HEAVY.

I have been considering one of these machines because of the monogrammer attachment, but I vastly prefer cast iron to aluminum.