Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Kenmore with cast iron base - need part for rare bobbin winder (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/kenmore-cast-iron-base-need-part-rare-bobbin-winder-t265080.html)

SteveH 05-12-2015 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I have one you could use.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]519525[/ATTACH]

Free to good home (you pay shipping) PM me

sews 05-12-2015 06:51 PM

Steve!! WOW!!!!!!! OMG.... :o :o :o

Thank you so much!

Macybaby -- thank you also so very much for taking the time to photograph your Standard bobbin winder and for doing the research on eBay. I guess I disregarded that one because it didn't occur to me that it could be bent.

Macybaby 05-13-2015 03:52 AM

Glad Steve had one for you - it's nice to be able to unite parts with machines - and get another old girl up and running!

roserips 05-13-2015 12:14 PM

What a cutie! My sister striped parts off of all the machines here so as I find the stashes I will keep my eyes open for the thread guide that you are looking for.

sews 05-17-2015 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
She sews! How awesome is that :-) !!! Don't know for how many years she's been dormant, but she's wide awake now. I still need to work some kinks out - e.g. the shuttle rattles, and it is still rusty.

Thanks to STEVE :), I now have functioning bobbin winder. It is installed but I have yet to try it out. It has great potential, even though it came from a unit that was made for a longer bobbin.
I have only the one bobbin that the machine came with, and used it for the sewing test.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519891[/ATTACH]

You can see how the upper tension was off and it took only a few tries to get it right.

:o So happy!

Macybaby 05-17-2015 03:09 PM

Sews - I didn't think Standard had more than one size bobbin. I know my 3/4 size Standard takes the full size shuttle. Can you measure your shuttle? will be interesting to see if it's shorter. So far, Davis is the only one I've encountered that had a shorter shuttle for the smaller machines.

sews 05-17-2015 04:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Cathy --- here are some photos and measurements for you.

I'm afraid Steve's bobbin winder is made for a longer bobbin: you can see how the arm extends past my bobbin on the left. However, from my POV this is still better than having to manually guide the thread all the way back and forth. (You can also see how the bobbin is originally wound unevenly.)

Below that, the image of a comparison of the 2 bobbin winders with the clear difference, even if foreshortened by perspective. (Also, Steve's bobbin winder is made for a tire, mine has spokes.)

--- Incidentally, I read in one of the threads here about technology found on German machines, the example was the Vesta. Those features are also found on this (American) machine: bobbin winder with spoked wheel and disengagement of the hand wheel by a simple lever.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t191204.html ---

The last 2 photos show measurements of the bobbin and the shuttle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519899[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519900[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519901[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519902[/ATTACH]

mjhaess 05-18-2015 05:43 AM

Shes a beauty...

SteveH 05-18-2015 07:42 AM

I would suggest moving the arm from the winder I sent to yours. 1 screw, 1 spring. easy peasy.

Macybaby 05-18-2015 08:22 AM

What you have is not a standard sized Standard shuttle or bobbin. It's closer in length to Singer (which is one of the shortest). It's also got a very unique shaped nose.

I wonder if yours was some sort of "joint venture" because it's got the unique Standard leaf tension and slide plate/attachment points that only Standard has. I know WW licensed patent info to European companies, and you'll find a lot of Wheeler Wilson looking machines made by foreign companies.