Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Large Drawer Pull for SM Carrying Handle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/large-drawer-pull-sm-carrying-handle-t237606.html)

ThayerRags 12-28-2013 02:09 PM

Large Drawer Pull for SM Carrying Handle

I just bumped into a couple of photos of portable walking foot sewing machines (new) that are outfitted with what appears to be a large drawer pull, like I’ve gotten at the Hardware Store before, that serves as a carrying handle instead of needing a case. It looks like the handle is simply mounted with bolts or screws to the top cover of the machine. The machines that I’ve seen them on are about the same size as a Singer Model 66, but a little heavier I think.

I wonder if that kind of setup would work on the vintage home machines that we talk about here at QB? Might be kind of handy for toting a machine around or lifting it up onto a table, especially a hand crank machine. But, I wonder if it could put too much stress on the original cover attachment screws?

Has anyone ever handled one like these? There’s a photo of one type at Alibaba.com, and there are other machine names on other sites that have similar handles.

CD in Oklahoma

mlmack 12-28-2013 02:34 PM

If the machine doesn't already have a handle built in, I just grab the machine by the top arm in the harp area.

I personally would never mount a handle to the top cover.

ThayerRags 12-28-2013 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by mlmack (Post 6478772)
I personally would never mount a handle to the top cover.

Yea, once it's done, it can't go back.

I drilled three extra spool pin holes in the top of my Singer 834 Stylist that I use at the shop. I mend jeans and attach embroidered patches with it, and it was handy to have several thread colors (small spools) at the ready, especially the typical colors for denim jeans including the (orange?) accent thread when I tack belt loops and re-attach hip pockets. I have one of the spool pins filled with bobbins loaded with black, navy, khaki, and white threads for the common uniforms that I do.

I don't ever plan to sell it though, so I customized it for my use. I have a second 834 on the shelf as a backup, but I can swap top covers fast enough that I haven't altered that top cover.

I wouldn't mind having a handle on top of the machine. I move it off of the table it's on to use the table for other things some times. I don't know though, with all of the extra spool pins on there, the top is getting kind of crowded.

CD in Oklahoma

Rodney 12-28-2013 03:37 PM

Take a good look at your screws that hold the top plate on and the areas of the machine and cover surrounding them. If it looks strong enough to you, you can probably get away with it. There may also be places where you can add an extra screw or two for strength too. Singer didn't design for a carry handle but that doesn't mean it can't be done. It really doesn't take a lot of metal to support the weight of a sewing machine. A suitcase handle might look better than a hardware store handle.
Rodney

J Miller 12-29-2013 08:28 AM

I wouldn't attach a carry handle directly to the top cover. Very few are made sturdy enough to support the weight of the machine.
However if the mounting screws were in such a position and threaded into a solid area of the head, then I might consider it. As long as it didn't interfere with the thread or other controls.

Joe

J Miller 12-29-2013 08:48 AM

I did like that WF machine. The price is pretty good too.

Joe

oldsewnsew 12-30-2013 11:08 AM

maybe you'd like my cursed nemesis/avatar. Nice handle on it, which means I should be able to throw it farthet!