Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Lei Lani: A rescue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/lei-lani-rescue-t233534.html)

Sunflowerzz 10-29-2013 09:09 AM

Lei Lani: A rescue

2 Attachment(s)
Lei Lani was one of my first rescues, she was in the back of the consignment building surrounded by refrigerators and appliances completely hidden from sight along with two treadles. She was in her topless case just plunked down half in half out and very dirty. For some reason my heart went out to her. I had the young men move all of the large appliances and bring her out. They carried her to the front of the store and the manager started searching for a picture or description in the computer to match her because she wasn't tagged, I was walking around still browsing while he was doing that when I spied what I thought was her top over on the other side of the store. It was, and it had her info on it.

I gave it to him and he said she had been there since the store opened two years earlier and should have been gone a long time ago ( like that was her fault!) She was tagged 74.95 and he said the best he could do was half off. I had already made up my mind I didn't care what the price was she was coming home with me. She was very dusty dirty, needed a new belt and new tension assembly and either I have to recover her case or put her in a table.

Yesterday I finished her makeover with the help of Miriam who found a tension assembly for her and mailed it to me and now she is ready for her new forever home. She sews quietly and very nicely, she is easy to use and uncomplicated. As soon as I gave her a test run I knew she wasn't "The One" I am searching for as my go to machine. She does run very nicely though. I feel terrific about saving her!! Wanna see?

Vridar 10-29-2013 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz (Post 6375272)
As soon as I gave her a test run I knew she wasn't "The One" I am searching for as my go to machine. She does run very nicely though. I feel terrific about saving her!!

Been there, done that. Makes one feel good about the save and the accomplishment, but I'm always looking for the one. So far I always go back to the 201 or 15s. Thought the 403 would be the one, but nothing feels like the heavy black machines. As a matter of fact, with my last "rescue" my wife suggested an intervention. I sort of agree. I may swamp the local CraigsList with all the non-black or clone machines. My industrial walking foot bent and stripped some threads. It will be the first to go upon repair. The 201 or 15 will do everything it will as long as I keep from binding the needle. That was what the walking foot was to protect. It bent instead of protect. Lesson learned.

Sandra in Minnesota 10-29-2013 10:00 AM

Great job - she's beautiful!

Sunflowerzz 10-29-2013 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Sandra

Ron, I have 20 machines in various states of repair waiting on parts and as the parts come in I get them all ready for their 'evaluation'. That is when it is the most exciting for me except the finding and purchasing of them. Last night I started cleaning a Morse and I have to say the minute I twisted her dials and started fiddling with her my heart gave a little leap. I know what your wife means about intervention, made me laugh. :D My little blue girl weighs a ton and I am going to work on her today.

I am glad someone else understands about "The One" I thought I would just buy some machines and repair them and choose the one I liked best but it turned into something much more personal I guess is the only way to put it and not nearly so simple and so far only one has captured my attention. So we shall see.

Monroe 10-29-2013 12:38 PM

The Vogue glows like platinum. I'm glad you rescued her.

foufymaus 10-29-2013 01:13 PM

Shes a beauty!

Lew Schiller 10-29-2013 02:09 PM

Wonderful work and a great story!

nanna-up-north 10-29-2013 02:24 PM

Ahhh! What a great rescue.

liking quilting 10-29-2013 04:20 PM

Loved your rescue story. Beautiful job on that machine.

wesing 10-29-2013 05:59 PM

That machine looks like the finish is hardly touched. Good rescue.

The Morse is also very pretty. I love the teal/aqua machines.