Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Look what I finally got (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/look-what-i-finally-got-t252500.html)

sdeaaz 08-26-2014 05:34 AM

Look what I finally got

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I have been looking at this 201-2 for a couple of months. Thanks for all the help from J Miller and Cognito in particular, but others have given lots of help too. I really appreciate it. Well, the seller emailed me and said that she wanted me to have the machine, because she knew it would have a good home, and she gave me a great price... so here it is..... yeah,

The wiring seems good, and I spent yesterday oiling and a little cleaning. It sews like a dream... Just one little problem so far. When I wind the bobbin, it winds fast and well for the first very little bit, then slows to almost nothing. I think the rubber gasket might be worn... any other suggestions. There is an adjustment, but I can't get the screw loose... also I think it is already all the way to the wheel. Can and where can I get a new gasket, or any other suggestions.

Thanks again to everyone.... Can I wind the bobbins on another machine? Silly question, I suppose, but not sure if it is ok. thanks. Sally

Mrs. SewNSew 08-26-2014 07:38 AM

Nice! Of course you can wind bobbins on another machine. You can also order a new bobbin winder tire from Sew-Classic's website. The tires are very inexpensive and while you are waiting for it to arrive clean the winder really well and it should have an oil hole to add a drop of oil and make sure it turns freely. It could just be gunked up. Most of my machines need new wider tires..they are either cracked and old and hard and slick so they don't turn well.

Congrats on the new machine!

nanna-up-north 08-26-2014 08:16 AM

Great find. I agree totally with Mrs.SewNSew. I've gotten a few tires to replace old cracked or hard ones. It's an easy fix.

Rodney 08-26-2014 08:46 AM

Nice get! I don't own one yet but the 201 is supposed to be one of Singer's best stitchers.
Like Mrs. SewnSew said, new tires are cheap and available at Sew-Classic. You might want to get your bobbins from there too. I've had trouble with the Singer branded bobbins available at the big stores like Walmart not fitting the vintage bobbin winders correctly due to the rims being too narrow. There is a visible difference between new and vintage bobbins.
Rodney

sdeaaz 08-26-2014 09:04 AM

I was lucky... there were about 20 bobbins in the drawer... I haven't looked at all of them... but assume they will do.... What about needles.... ? any Singer needle or should they be something special?

J Miller 08-26-2014 10:40 AM

Sally,

The 201s take the standard 15x1 needles.

You can get those at JoAnns. We usually buy the Schmetz with their 50-% off coupons.

Joe

miriam 08-26-2014 01:26 PM

I'm a fan of the 201 machines.

sdeaaz 08-26-2014 03:20 PM

I sewed on it all day. It takes a little getting use to . Different than my Bernina.. no thread cutter or threader... but I love the way it sews.....

Cari-in-Oly 08-26-2014 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by sdeaaz (Post 6861362)
I sewed on it all day. It takes a little getting use to . Different than my Bernina.. no thread cutter or threader... but I love the way it sews.....

Isn't it a dream to sew with? Whenever someone asks me what's so special about a 201-2, I say I can't explain it in words, you have to use it and FEEL it.
I grew up sewing with a vintage Brother so I had never used a Singer. A few years ago spotted a black Singer that just called my name so I took it home knowing nothing about it. It's a 201-2 I named Elizabeth and it's one of two machines I'm going to be buried with. Yes I CAN take it with me. I'm not a Singer gal but this machine is my exception.

Cari

purplefiend 08-27-2014 05:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The 201 is a wonderful machine. I have the hand crank version, 201-4, I treadle it(remove hand crank, place in treadle cabinet). It is so quiet, as long as I remember to oil everything. :shock:The grandkids were piecing quilt blocks when this picture was taken, they liked the hand crank.
Sharon in Texas