Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Look what I have found! Vintage hand crank Singer Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/look-what-i-have-found-vintage-hand-crank-singer-sewing-machine-t190859.html)

BizzieLizzie 06-07-2012 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by momto5 (Post 5271867)
Beautiful and a great find! I'm jealous!!

Thank you. Sorry to make you jealous. Hope you find one too! :) Best wishes

nstitches4u 06-07-2012 03:58 PM

Great find! It looks like it is in great shape. Why can't I ever find anything like that? lol

BizzieLizzie 06-07-2012 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by BizzieLizzie (Post 5272224)
Thank you and thank you for the link. I watched the video and saw the machine. Lovely. To think that they are still using it in Korea! Wow! I hope you do find one in a garage sale which is where you could possibly find one cheaper than what is advertised on the internet on various websites? Good luck!

Best wishes

Originally Posted by nstitches4u (Post 5272507)
Great find! It looks like it is in great shape. Why can't I ever find anything like that? lol

Thank you, it is in good shape and all it needs is some cleaning and polishing. As I mentioned in my reply to husband-of -a-quilter, you'd probably find machines like this in garage sales? My guess is that it would be cheaper than from most websites as there are people who just want to clear their old stuff out and price is not the main aim. I used to think the same as you and many others before I found this machine. So, keep your chin up and if it is meant to be, it'll come knocking.

Best wishes.

Janis 06-07-2012 10:16 PM

BLizzie, I'm so happy you got a Singer 99K. Your machine is beautiful!! I think the 99's are just neat little machines. You will love sewing with it. I am the proud owner of 2, one that is electric and the other one has a knee bar. Mine from the 1920's, but look a lot like yours. Mine don't have numbers on the tension, does yours? And like yours, they have the knob for the stitch regulator. Almost any short shank attachments will work on your machine. Now I also would like a hand crank machine. Will it be a 99 also? who knows? But I'll be watching out for one.
Janis

frustratedquilter40 06-07-2012 10:22 PM

Wow what a wonderful find. It is very rare to find one of these in such awesome shape:thumbup:

BizzieLizzie 06-08-2012 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Janis (Post 5273111)
BLizzie, I'm so happy you got a Singer 99K. Your machine is beautiful!! I think the 99's are just neat little machines. You will love sewing with it. I am the proud owner of 2, one that is electric and the other one has a knee bar. Mine from the 1920's, but look a lot like yours. Mine don't have numbers on the tension, does yours? And like yours, they have the knob for the stitch regulator. Almost any short shank attachments will work on your machine. Now I also would like a hand crank machine. Will it be a 99 also? who knows? But I'll be watching out for one.
Janis

Hi Janis, thank you. I am so lucky that my son was with me that day, otherwise, I would have walked right past it as it was in an obscure part of the shop and not at all noticeable. You mention numbers on the tension. Where would I find those numbers if they are there? Please can you tell me and I'll have a look.

I think that the hand crank machines have a charm all their own and they are lovely. I am now on the look out for a treadle machine that resembles my grandmother's machine. What have I got myself into? :shock: :eek: I am hooked!

Please let us know when you get your hand crank machine. It will be a lovely find, I'm sure of it. Best wishes.

BizzieLizzie 06-08-2012 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by frusratedquilter40 (Post 5273116)
Wow what a wonderful find. It is very rare to find one of these in such awesome shape:thumbup:

Yes, it is a wonderful find. I had no idea how rare it is to find a machine like this in such good condition. I realise now that there are machines that need more than spit and a polish! I wouldn't have been able to do more than simple cleaning and maintenance as I have no clue as to where to begin. I watched Muv's videos and thank goodness for her videos and various blogs, I have an idea as to what I should be doing. Cheers! :)

Janis 06-09-2012 07:59 AM

[QUOTE=BizzieLizzie;5275102]Hi Janis, thank you. I am so lucky that my son was with me that day, otherwise, I would have walked right past it as it was in an obscure part of the shop and not at all noticeable. You mention numbers on the tension. Where would I find those numbers if they are there? Please can you tell me and I'll have a look.

If there are numbers on the tension dial, they are in a circle around the dial. Mine doesn't have them, and I don't pay attention to the numbers on my other machines. If the tension needs adjusting, I just turn the dial which way I need to in able to correct the tension. As you notice, there is just a dial for the length of stitch, and no numbers. You just turn the dial to see what length of stitch you want, and leave it there.
Happy sewing!

BizzieLizzie 06-10-2012 12:42 AM

[QUOTE=Janis;5276583]

Originally Posted by BizzieLizzie (Post 5275102)
Hi Janis, thank you. I am so lucky that my son was with me that day, otherwise, I would have walked right past it as it was in an obscure part of the shop and not at all noticeable. You mention numbers on the tension. Where would I find those numbers if they are there? Please can you tell me and I'll have a look.

If there are numbers on the tension dial, they are in a circle around the dial. Mine doesn't have them, and I don't pay attention to the numbers on my other machines. If the tension needs adjusting, I just turn the dial which way I need to in able to correct the tension. As you notice, there is just a dial for the length of stitch, and no numbers. You just turn the dial to see what length of stitch you want, and leave it there.
Happy sewing!

Hi Janis,

I have just had a peek and there doesn't appear to be any numbers anywhere except for the serial number. I guess it will be a case of trial and error? How far do you turn the dial? I am guessing in small increments? I'll have a go one day and see how it sews.

Muv 06-10-2012 05:13 AM

B Lizzie - watch my video on how to adjust the tension on a long bobbin machine. Follow the same method on that video to adjust your upper tension. Make sure you have cleaned your discs first. Shame we aren't round the corner from each other...