Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Look what I picked up today... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/look-what-i-picked-up-today-t239620.html)

J Miller 01-25-2014 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rach L

From what I've seen most of the Kenmores came with the basic set of cams which had the most common numbers, then there was the big sets with I think 30 cams you could buy to get the rest of them. There is some 60 different numbers on the large top hat cams that I have. Even with those I don't have them all.

Oh, and here is the third different Kenmore cam and a correction.
The Kenmore 158-17560 does not use the flat cam, it uses the large top hat cams. The pic I posted above show them.

The Kenmore 158-523 and it's group use the large flat cams:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]458657[/ATTACH]

Joe

Rach L. 01-25-2014 04:23 PM

Oh, wow! I guess let the SMAD begin....

Who knew there would be so many more do-dads for one machine? I love it! I'm feeling really lucky to have found this deal!

Thanks for all the info!

J Miller 01-25-2014 04:37 PM

You're welcome.

The Kenmore I use the most is a 158-17570. For it I've got the button holer(s), many cams, monogrammer, chain stitch attachments, various and assundry feet, and ummm, I'm not sure what else. I use it more for overcasting raw edges than anything else. It does a super job on most fabrics but 7 layers of denim gives it the willies.

Joe

Sunflowerzz 01-25-2014 04:40 PM

Nice. I likee, a LOT!:D

Rach L. 01-25-2014 04:42 PM

SEVEN LAYERS? I'm impressed that it handles 5! I guess I've got my work cut out for me finding all these extras. I have the 158-1703.

When you found your attachments, did you chance it, or did you search specifically for your model?

Rach L. 01-25-2014 04:42 PM

Thank you Sunflowerzz! :)

J Miller 01-25-2014 04:59 PM

Rach L,

We traded into the 158-17570 and the 158-17560 last year from another QB member. The 158-17560 has been rehomed since then. Both had nearly a full set of attachments, the rest came from the LSMG and from shopgoodwill.com .

Yeah, 7 layers of denim was a bit much. I think it would do 7 flat layers, but there were two folds in the mess and that is what gave it the problems. One of these days I'll come up with an industrial for cheap then I'll hammer that denim with ease ..... maybe.

Joe

Monroe 01-25-2014 10:36 PM

Joe is correct about the different cams- My mom's Kenmore takes double thick cams, mine takes the single thick cams. Hers is at a camp in the Adirondacks for summer use so I don't know the model #, and mine is out in the car and it's too darn cold to go get it! If you look at Joe's great pictures you'll see the difference in the green cam thickness in the ones in the center row.

Rach L. 01-25-2014 11:15 PM

Thanks for clarifying Monroe! I appreciate it. I'll make sure that if I do ever end up buying more cams, I'll have to be certain they fit my model. Although, I will note, that my machine's cams are both single and double thick. This is so confusing!

Monroe 01-25-2014 11:29 PM

Actually my Mom's uses both thicknesses of the top hat or high hat cams. Mine only uses the single thickness ones. I'm looking at a Kenmore tomorrow to possibly use for replacement parts for one of mine. Not sure of the model #. It might have attachments I don't need that could fit yours. That's one of the nice things about Kenmores- lots of attachments and parts still readily available.