Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Look What I've Done - Stupid ME ! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/look-what-ive-done-stupid-me-t239706.html)

vmaniqui 01-26-2014 05:02 PM

Look What I've Done - Stupid ME !

2 Attachment(s)
i was cleaning the rusty parts on my 15-88 and 28 and read somewhere that vinegar will help remove those rust from metal parts. as i was putting those rusty parts in a container with vinegar, i accidentally put my 15-88 bobbin case. and look what happened. it turned into black thingy like it got burned or something. is this toast now ? do i need to buy a replacement ? i will never use vinegar again. alcohol is much better or kerosene. is there a way to clean this up or make it shiny again ? so stupid of me. lesson learned.

Painiacs 01-26-2014 05:36 PM

Did it just oxidize the metal? Looks like it did, not sure it ruined it. One best things for rust? Dr pepper! Used that on rusted knives, toys ect

Candace 01-26-2014 06:48 PM

Some of my bobbin cases look very similar and they work fine. Give it a shot.

Glenn 01-26-2014 06:55 PM

Use 0000 fine steel and a metal polish and it will shine right back up. I use Brasso for this. The dark color witll not harm the operation of the case it just looks bad. So go shine her up.
Skip

vmaniqui 01-26-2014 07:02 PM

thank you all for the tips. i thought it's toasted already. will try it and see how it goes. will never use vinegar again. i actually am using rubbing alcohol now and it's way better. just be careful not touching any painted parts.

J Miller 01-26-2014 07:43 PM

Leaving some bare metals in Evapo-Rust will do the same thing. As Glen said just polish it up and all will be well.

Joe

path49 01-26-2014 08:47 PM

Another thing...to clean/polish a bobbin case you must remove the tension spring. Under there is the most important area to polish so your thread feeds thru smoothly.

amcatanzaro 01-26-2014 09:03 PM

I'm not sure if it's the same bobbin as the 15-91 (never shocks me when its slightly different), but they are very reasonable to replace.

vmaniqui 01-26-2014 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro (Post 6537104)
I'm not sure if it's the same bobbin as the 15-91 (never shocks me when its slightly different), but they are very reasonable to replace.

that's what i am thinking. i tried brass and didn't even work. it will be more elbow grease for me. i might as well replace it. thanks.

vmaniqui 01-26-2014 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro (Post 6537104)

that's what i am thinking. i tried brasso and it didn't even work. applied so many times but not a single part got cleaned. polishing it will be more elbow grease for me. i might as well replace it. thanks.

TIP of the DAY. don't use Vinegar. now i feel so st.....d for following google's recommendation.