Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Looking for Bobbins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/looking-bobbins-t183720.html)

SharonTheriault 03-22-2012 03:43 PM

Looking for Bobbins

Hi, I am looking for good, usable bobbins for a Singer Model 66 made in 1907. It has the lotus pattern decals on it, if that makes a difference. It sat on a shelf for 12 years after someone gave it to us. It didn't run. But very recently we took it to a fellow and now it runs great. Decals are a little worse for wear, but then, if I was 105 years old, I would be too. I will be checking back often. Thanks

J Miller 03-22-2012 04:00 PM

JoAnns has Dritz Class 66 bobbins. They're good.

Sew-Classic has them as well and I've purchased some and the quality is good.
http://shop.sew-classic.com/

Joe

Candace 03-22-2012 04:30 PM

Buy them from Sew Classic as the ones from the big box stores are junk, IMO. And as Miriam says "only good for making earrings". LOL. I think they test the bobbins at Sew Classic, buy you can e-mail them and ask.

DonnaQuilts 03-22-2012 11:17 PM

I agree with Joe, Sew Classics has given us very good service, ships fast and takes Pay Pal. We order all our parts from them. I use both plastic and steel bobbins without issue. The plastic ones are quieter and won't wear as much.
I learned to sew with the steel ones back in the 60s. 66 bobbins are the most common ones and can be found locally. Don't forget to oil your machine and change the grease, if it has hardened inside the machine. It will last a lot longer. We're all they have, so be good to them. You will be collecting vintage machines in no time. It is addective.

barri1 03-23-2012 02:31 AM

I would go with the high quality ones.. I have the steel ones, and plastic. The machine, and I feel better with the steel.. Please take care of her..
Barri

SharonTheriault 03-23-2012 10:54 AM

I'm excited to have her. At some point, someone put a motor on her and she has had all the old grease and oil cleaned out and new added. She also has her own table, but it isn't as old as she is. Thanks for all the info on the bobbins.

miriam 03-24-2012 03:11 AM

I got some of the bobbins from the big box store and they fell apart - I don't know how to make them come apart though. I used the flat sides from a couple to make earrings for DIL. She thought they were pretty cool. The bobbins from sew-classic work just fine for sewing - no earrings from them yet.

J Miller 03-24-2012 05:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There are several versions of bobbins.

A: The first was a one piece bobbin turned out of solid stock on a lathe.
B: Next was the two piece unit stamped out of sheet metal then joined in the middle.
C: Then was the three piece with a solid middle.
D: Followed by the three piece bobbin with a rolled middle. I've seen some that were welded and some with the middle just haphazardly rolled to a tube shape.
E: Plastic ones.

All of the three piece units are put together by the center tube being inserted into the disc then the end flared over.
I've not had any fall apart yet, but I've had them crooked and warped right out of the box.

I love it when I can come up with the older ones. They work really good.

Whigrose 03-24-2012 05:42 AM

J Miller,
Thanks for taking the time to put together this information along with good photos. Who ever knew there would be so many ways to make the same but different bobbin for one machine.

Now I'm curious and will be checking out all the bobbins that came with my various machines.

best,
d
QUOTE=J Miller;5086580]There are several versions of bobbins.

A: The first was a one piece bobbin turned out of solid stock on a lathe.
B: Next was the two piece unit stamped out of sheet metal then joined in the middle.
C: Then was the three piece with a solid middle.
D: Followed by the three piece bobbin with a rolled middle. I've seen some that were welded and some with the middle just haphazardly rolled to a tube shape.
E: Plastic ones.

All of the three piece units are put together by the center tube being inserted into the disc then the end flared over.
I've not had any fall apart yet, but I've had them crooked and warped right out of the box.

I love it when I can come up with the older ones. They work really good.[/QUOTE]

purplefiend 03-24-2012 08:05 AM

Don't buy the Dritz bobbins, the hole for the bobbin winder is too small and often the quality of these bobbins isn't very good. I only use vintage bobbins in my Singers 99,353,201 and 66 machines, several years ago I won an Ebay auction for 35 vintage class 66 bobbins; have plenty of bobbins for my machines now.
I've tried the newer repros and its just not as smooth.
Sharon W. in Texas