Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Looking for a GREAT machine!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/looking-great-machine-t189108.html)

Vintage.Singers.NYC 05-17-2012 02:15 AM

Oh--you misunderstand, I'm not trying to sell you a machine! I was trying to warn you that someone could recommend a specific model for you, you could find that model, but then discover the machine you bought was not in peak condition and thus not up to the task. While you're on the right track by soliciting specific models to check out, I'm basically trying to make the point that you oughtn't buy a machine sight unseen, but should instead test it first with the actual fabrics you'd like to sew. Even with the models we recommend here, I think you'll find at least a few of the actual machines you'll look at will choke on the work because the previous owner did not keep it ship-shape.

I'm only familiar with Singers--obsessed might be a better word--and out of the models you've listed:

The Singer 285 is widely considered to be junk. It's a 3/4-sized machine that's noisy and poorly designed & built compared to what Singer produced in their prime.

The 301 is popular, but it's a slant-needle machine. That means the needle doesn't go straight into the material, but comes in at a slight angle. So with very heavy work, you may get some deflection, which could prove problematic.

I don't have any experience with the other Singers you listed, as they're outside of the range of Singers I collect and fix; I only go after the well-designed, sturdy and all-metal models. For domestics, I'd recommend that you look at a 15-91 and/or a 237 or 239. You may find the latter two are noisy, but they're solid.

If you're looking to buy something new that will definitely do the task, I'd recommend looking into a Sailrite machine. They're an American company that makes machines (in America!) the old-fashioned way in that they use cast-iron bodies. Best of all, they deliver a walking foot feeding system in a domestic-sized machine:

http://www.sailrite.com/Ultrafeed-LS...h-Walking-Foot

hope that helps,

miriam 05-17-2012 04:48 AM

Singer sewing machine 327A can be treadled - don't know what size needles it takes

Singer sewing machine 348 - it is belt driven - don't know much else

Singer Stylist 413 - look to see that the plastic gears are ok or you can replace

Singer 417 - may have plastic hook gear and other plastic gears
I look for all metal. The plastic gears some times can be repaired.

miriam 05-17-2012 04:52 AM

Rain has a wonderful blog (beware you can spend hours) about the old black sewing machines and you can sign up to be a follower!!! He is one of Ray White's students. (Ray said so and was bragging on Rain)
http://vssmb.blogspot.com/ (link to Rain's blog)

quiltbuddy 05-17-2012 06:00 AM

I have had and have all kinds of Singers and the older ones (pre 1970 or so) are mostly great. I have been sewing for 40+ years with industrial style machines and working with couture design houses so I have used them all over the years. I like the slow and precise stitching older Berninas have to offer and they will go thru thick fabric but I recently acquired a Pfaff 1222E. This machine has more power than any home style machine I have ever used. You will get many personal opinions on this subject.

miriam 05-17-2012 06:07 AM

Do be aware that ALL machines with plastic parts will go for about 5 years and then break.

Geri B 05-17-2012 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by fbeauley (Post 5219590)
I'm looking for a machine that could sew through a THICK quilt about 5 or 6 layers of dense fabric. I want to make a REALLY thick heavy quilt...

Any suggestions??

Thanks much!! :)

My question....why do you need to make a quilt that is 5/6 layers of dense fabric and are you going to make tons of them which would be a reason to "purchase" a machine that will take that load..........

fbeauley 05-17-2012 10:24 AM

Thank you Rain! I understand you are not trying to sell me a machine... If I were in NY, I would come talk to you... Sounds like you know your machines.

I am not that familiar with the vintage machines, that is why I'm asking for experienced recommendations!!! I REALLY, REALLY appreciate your feedback!!!!

You mentioned "I only go after the well-designed, sturdy and all-metal models", I and looking for a well-designed, sturdy, all metal machine that is quality and will last for years and years... :)

Thanks again!!! I am open to any suggestions and recommendations!!! :)
---Frankie :)

fbeauley 05-17-2012 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 5223261)
My question....why do you need to make a quilt that is 5/6 layers of dense fabric and are you going to make tons of them which would be a reason to "purchase" a machine that will take that load..........

Personal preference... Not tons of them, probably around 8 to 10 of them... ;)

fbeauley 05-17-2012 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5223256)
Do be aware that ALL machines with plastic parts will go for about 5 years and then break.

Thank you Miriam!!

fbeauley 05-17-2012 10:29 AM

Quiltbuddy,
Tell me more about the Pfaff 1222E. Any ideas where to find such a machine? Are you able to sew lighter fabric as wells as heavy with this machine? About how much would a machine like this cost??

THANKS!!