Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   looking for info on white VS machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/looking-info-white-vs-machines-t260227.html)

xxxxxxxxxx 01-24-2015 01:08 PM

looking for info on white VS machines

2 Attachment(s)
these are the only photo's. and taken inside the trailer.. I've read all the normal sites. I don't find a thing on the one with the chrome face plate

I have found a little info on this one, VS - 3 it look like these both take a tunnel shuttle, both are missing. Last pat on this is 1890

[ATTACH=CONFIG]507473[/ATTACH]

this as always I have seen pic's of , but can not find those now. it's last pat is 1880

[ATTACH=CONFIG]507474[/ATTACH]

xxxxxxxxxx 01-24-2015 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
better pic..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]507490[/ATTACH]

Rodney 01-24-2015 06:49 PM

A couple of nice finds. The White VS machines don't seem to be nearly as common as their rotary machines. I know there's at least a couple people here that can give you some background but overall I don't think White is as well documented as Singer.
Rodney

xxxxxxxxxx 01-24-2015 07:07 PM

I know white like the back of my hand from the FR's, but not before that. I know there has been pic's posted here of these. doing a search I can't find those

SteveH 01-24-2015 09:34 PM

I called Husquvarna's 800 number with the 5 digit serial number from my White VS1 and they were able to date it in their records to 1876.

Yours looks like a White VS2
http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.php/White

xxxxxxxxxx 01-24-2015 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks steve. I'm dial up,, some portions of sites just don't show up a search.. I kept trying VS 2, should have use VS 11
Thats it .. the stamping on the take up lever cover is different. mine has a chrome face plate, The plate I know I have seen before. It's missing the front slide plate and the shuttle, Hey 3 bucks for it

I once said never an other white, I came home with four
[ATTACH=CONFIG]507543[/ATTACH]

Macybaby 01-26-2015 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx (Post 7062676)
I once said never an other white, I came home with four

I remember the time when I didn't figure I'd ever have any White machines - think I've got around 10 of them so far. Not counting at least three donor machines out in the shed.

I have a VS one like your first picture (first post) but in much nicer shape. It's missing a few parts, including the rounded inspection plate above the bobbin winder. Can't decide if I should find a nicer machine, or find parts for this one. I bought it for $10 because it came with a shuttle and bobbin.

xxxxxxxxxx 01-27-2015 12:18 AM

my first treadles of my very won ( 1969) one white one new home both rusted POS's

From then to now 99% of the whites are nasty dirty rust buckets, everyone I know says the same thing.

But Why ? why are whites always dirty rusted. these two are just flat rotten nasty. that 2nd pic's one the VS2 the under side is shinny, bright metal, behind the plates on the arm the rods are bright sliver.

the outside after a gasoline bath, I uncovered three spots of yellow/gold lines, maybe removed 40% of the very rough shellac encrusted dirt or dirt encrusted shellac

This left me with a 70% rusted machine body.an other 20% with rust under the paint pushing that off the metal, only held in place by dirt infested shellac

So, out came the 6" wire wheel and a drill motor, an hour later Bubba white , is now naked Bubba White

conclusions, White didn't Japan these or the FR's , There enameled then covered with a very very heavy coating of shellac

guessing , There shellac was used in a much more pure/natural form than singer used. which cause the shellac to soften in hi heat and collect dirt, over time sagged and collect in corners and thinned in flat ares, which exposed the thin enameling. In time leaving spec holes/tiny holes in the paint.

heat and freezing lifted the enamel with the help of rust.. it may well be japaning it doesn't act like it, but it is thin, The major problem is the over use of that shellac

xxxxxxxxxx 01-27-2015 12:27 AM

I'll post a decent photo of the first machine the VS 3. I've cleaned it

but am kinda screwed right now. there 's left over specialty screw I don't know where it goes :mad::D

VS 2 and VS 3 are not the same

xxxxxxxxxx 01-27-2015 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
pic's are not wanting to load. this is the VS 2 after , some wire brushing and sand paper
[ATTACH=CONFIG]507911[/ATTACH]