Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Looking For Replica Vintage Electrical Cable (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/looking-replica-vintage-electrical-cable-t307430.html)

mtboze 10-14-2019 02:17 PM

Looking For Replica Vintage Electrical Cable

I am refurbishing one of my 15-91's, and I've found that the wire from the motor to the 3-pin power connector needs to be replaced, and perhaps the wire for the lamp and the foot controller as well. I could certainly use basic 18/2 lamp cord, but I can't find any that doesn't have the telltale groove down the length of the wire.

I've been able to find replica cloth-covered round wire, but it's from the wrong era. My machine is from 1952, and the original wire is rubber-covered and it's oval. Also, the opening in the foot controller won't accept a round wire without enlarging it with a file or Dremel (not my first choice).

Does anyone know of a source for this kind of wire? Thanks.

bkay 10-15-2019 04:43 AM

I went out to check my Singers from that era, and most all have the groove down the length of wire. My mom's 1948 15-91 has the groove, my 1950 221 has the groove on one of the wires (both will have to be replaced), the 1948 201-2 that I gifted to DH's DIL has the groove, my 1951 201-2 has the groove. All the pieces of wired controllers I have also have the groove. The exception (other than the featherweight) is my Canadian made 15-91, which doesn't have the groove, but is similarly shaped and sized to the others. (Went back out to check, and the 301 I just purchased has the groove as does the black 301.)

I had to replace the controller wire on the 201-2 for the DIL's machine and the 18/2 wire from Home Depot fit perfectly and didn't appear different than the wire to the wall. I believe you are safe in using the grooved wire for authenticity and to fit the controller. Most of my machines are from the 1948 to 1952 era, so should be a good representation of what was used originally.

bkay

leonf 10-15-2019 05:49 AM

Thanks bkay for this. I would not have known.

mtboze 10-15-2019 06:27 AM

That is comforting, and I guess a little confusing. My guess on how appropriate common lamp cord would be was based on the 3 machines I have from that era, which all have cord without the groove. Thanks!

bkay 10-15-2019 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It will look just fine. I went back to double check and looked at everything to make sure I had not made a mistake. The oldest one I have now is my Mother's 15-91, which is pictured below. It was allocated in Nov. 1948. That one, I am sure has not been re-wired (although it needs it). All of my machines from that 15-91 to my 600 has the wire with the groove in it. That includes 2 - 503s, 2 - 401s, 2 301's and the ones that were mentioned previously.

(I attempted to photograph the 2 kinds of wire I have, but I couldn't get good resolution.)

bkay

Here's the 15-91 that belonged to my Mom.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]618605[/ATTACH]