Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Looking at a sewing machine - need some input (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/looking-sewing-machine-need-some-input-t100603.html)

Lostn51 02-17-2011 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
The irons (wrought iron part) look very similar to my old 1893 Standard treadle (made by Singer), and so does the 'body style'. I got mine for $30 with attachments off of Craigslist. Is the Seller flexible at all? Doesn't hurt to ask! The machine & cabinet look to be in decent shape. :)

Standard was its own company and was not affiliated with Singer at all. It was bought out by Singer in the 1930's but until then it was its own company.

Billy

Sorry, I knew that. It went from Standard to Singer. I wonder if that's what happened to many of the little companies who tried to compete with them. The neat thing about my old standard is that it runs BACKWARDS compared to a normal sewing machine. It also has an attachment called a spider to allow it to chainstitch. Pretty cool. LOVE these old machines. :) They just don't make them like they used to.

That is so true!! Thats is why all the machines I use are treadled. ;)

I am trying to get the shuttle to put in my 1876 Domestic that will allow me to chain stitch. Now that I have gotten into the real early machines I am really liking them, especially the non Singers.

Billy

Happy Treadler 02-17-2011 03:49 PM

I know many people think they could get them just for display, but treadles and handcranks are the only machines I sew on, too. The oldest one I've got is an 1879 White. Over the years I've collected a machine for my every need, a Two Spool so I can piece literally (if I had the time) for 8 hours straight, Eldredge Chainstitcher for machine embroidery, Davis vertical feed to do my bindings and straight/curvy quilting, Singer industrial 31-15 for fm quilting & "tough" jobs... and the list goes on and on. I encourage the quilters out there to give it a try. They make the perfect stitch, and there's no plastic in them to break. I know many like the cute little featherweights, but there are so many other machines that are just as cool and functional. Hubby has cut me off, and I've probably got 10-12 treadles scattered all over my house, along with 4 hand cranks (not counting the vintage electrics that are stashed away).

Lostn51 02-17-2011 04:17 PM

I couldnt begin to count the machines in my collection. I have 21 in my studio that are allotted for use out there, then you have the ones in my house that are to rare and nice to use so I display them. And then there is my collection of parts machines and treadles. :roll: Dont even get me started on my vintage speed equipment and cars I have in my garage...........

You should come over to the VSMS thread and hang out with us. We would love to see your collection and the neat stuff that you have made on your machines. Its nice to have another treadler in the mix!!! :thumbup:

Here is the link if you havent seen it yet......

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1.htm

Its only up to 704 pages right now and I am hoping it will break 1000 before its a year old!

Billy

tomilu 02-17-2011 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Suzi
This machine is a 110 year old treadle with all the paperwork intact. It has the name "Arlington" decaled on it and looks to be in very good shape. Asking price is $100 and I'm to see it tomorrow morning. I looked it up online and could only come up with the Arlington Company who sells sewing machines but does not manufacture. Does anyone know anything at all about these machines? Will try to enclose a picture ..........

I'd buy it for that. Only thing I know is they take a Boye #14 needle.

Lostn51 02-17-2011 06:15 PM

Well thats even a crap shoot as we need to see who badged the machine first. I need better photos of it to tell but it could be one of several companies that badged it. Standard, National, Cash Buyers Union, or Free. All of them takes different needles and I have a chart that will tell us and I can convert it to an over the counter new style needle if it is obsolete.

But I am willing to bet on Cash Buyers Union or Standard from what I can see.

Billy

sewbizgirl 02-20-2011 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I'd pay $100 for that machine; the cabinet is in excellent condition! It's possible that this is a Singer machine and Arlington was just how it was badged. (For example, Sears Kenmore are simply re-badged Janome machines.)

From what I understand, the Singer Co. did not do this-- did not 'badge' machines for other companies.

Lostn51 02-20-2011 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

Originally Posted by Prism99
I'd pay $100 for that machine; the cabinet is in excellent condition! It's possible that this is a Singer machine and Arlington was just how it was badged. (For example, Sears Kenmore are simply re-badged Janome machines.)

From what I understand, the Singer Co. did not do this-- did not 'badge' machines for other companies.

Singer was its own company and would never badge for anyone else. Issac Singer would roll in his grave if that was to happen!!

Billy