Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   The Machine That I Fiddled With Today (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/machine-i-fiddled-today-t236275.html)

wilburness 01-04-2014 04:28 PM

ooohh. can you post the next pic? it sure has been a few years... LOL. all wooden spools...

amcatanzaro 01-08-2014 06:21 AM

I managed to get my 201 running better. :)
I still don't think it's running as fast as it could but it happily sewed through 6 layers (4 batting, 2 cotton) without blinking an eye. I also found the off sound it was making (dead spider in a gear). AND I managed to get the light working.
YAY!

Rodney 01-08-2014 07:09 AM

CD thanks for that pic. Pretty much what all of us here would like to find I think.
Macybaby was kind enough to sell me some parts for my touch & sew so I'm just waiting for those to arrive before I get started with that machine. Once I have the needed parts I don't think it'll take much for it to sew again. Meanwhile I'm still plugging away at my wife's quilt on the Singer 66. I really love that machine. Very easy to use and trouble free. It also does a beautiful straight stitch and is quiet. I mentioned in another thread that we have another old machine in storage. It's a Brunswick with a vibrating shuttle. I could get to it just enough to open it up and see the shuttle is still there and it needs new electric cords but couldn't see a model # or anything else. It was kind of hard to tell but it looks smaller than my full size Singers too. I'm hoping it's a 3/4 size machine just because I think the smaller ones are cool. I'll bring it home after my touch & sew is working and get some pics then.
I need to start prioritizing which machines stay in the house. I seem to find all mine in cabinets and they take up too much room. We live in a small house and there just isn't enough room for (currently) 4 machines in cabinets. We also have 2 portables. If I like the way the touch & sew works I'll probably use it instead of the 66 just because it has the decorative stitches too.
Rodney

ArchaicArcane 01-08-2014 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro (Post 6500334)
I managed to get my 201 running better. :)
I still don't think it's running as fast as it could but it happily sewed through 6 layers (4 batting, 2 cotton) without blinking an eye. I also found the off sound it was making (dead spider in a gear). AND I managed to get the light working.
YAY!

Good job! What all did you do? The spider must have been a much hardier one than we have here. THe spiders here would just have been turned to a weird powder or goo. I likely couldn't even identify one that had been through a set of gears on a 201.

oldsewnsew 01-08-2014 11:32 AM

had to make sure she wasn't from Texas. ( everything's bigger there)

ThayerRags 01-09-2014 09:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
After letting the glue dry for 24 hours or so, the wooden triangle-shaped reinforcement blocks are back in both sides of the center drawer of my 1901 Singer 27K2 Treadle Cabinet. I also have the broken treadle plate replaced with the “Well Traveled” one that I posted a thread about earlier. Now, all I’m missing on the cabinet is the drop-end support bracket and the bale on one of the drawer pulls. I think I have a support bracket stashed somewhere, but I haven’t located it yet.

The head has been basking in a sewing machine oil soak, and the outer surface has been wiped down a couple of times. Next thing for it is to begin the process of cleaning the working parts and checking them for wear or damage, and then get it to sewing.

CD in Oklahoma

oldsewnsew 01-09-2014 11:13 AM

Sweet!! Beautiful machine. You have time to sew??

vmaniqui 01-09-2014 12:03 PM

such a beauty. and a hand crank too. i always wanted to have a treadle. a treadle singer is the first machine i learned how to sew when i was a kid. my mom has one and i love it when you kick pull and out. the motion of your feet and legs is just such a nice feeling. if only i could convince my wife to get one but her first words will be 'no room' for that machine.

vmaniqui 01-09-2014 02:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
working on my Singer 28 today and still puzzled or quite frankly have no idea how to connect the dots - knee controller, to power to motor to light. hmmm this will definitely take me awhile. if anyone has any idea please i would appreciate any input.

amcatanzaro 01-09-2014 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 6501014)
Good job! What all did you do? The spider must have been a much hardier one than we have here. THe spiders here would just have been turned to a weird powder or goo. I likely couldn't even identify one that had been through a set of gears on a 201.

There looks like a lot of spiders might have lived in the neighborhood for a while. There were about 7-8 dead ones inside the machine. They must have been happy there for a while. They weren't huge but they were certainly dead and crunchy. One was smoshed in one of the gear teeth.
Mostly I cleaned a lot of green grease out and replaced it. I took the brushes out and wiped them down but honestly I didn't see the wicks yet. I'm probably going to clean that area out again at some point but everything seemed to be getting to the right places.