Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   The Machine That I Fiddled With Today (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/machine-i-fiddled-today-t236275.html)

ArchaicArcane 04-28-2015 06:57 PM

Perhaps some sort of synthetic oil/lube/convincer then? Or maybe disassemble, figure out what's wrong and put it back together? It looks like that nut on top on the inside is responsible for a lot... it might be jammed from Bubba or something and need disassembly.

KenZ 04-28-2015 07:32 PM

The part that the knob moves may be locked up. Check to seeif the part that the rod on the top the knob is moving correctly. Try movingthe knob with the lever on the right in various positions.

miriam 04-29-2015 01:31 AM

So far I haven't dis-assembled it. I've looked on there to see what it does move and oiled it - then I ran the machine, turned it in every direction and ran the machine to work in oil. Everything else is working slick as snot on a door knob. The knob now rolls but very difficult.

HelenAnn 04-29-2015 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 7175964)
The iPad likes its "Home Button" or whatever it's called on the right or at the bottom for "Right Side Up" photos to the rest of the world. Most people don't pay attention to its orientation and most forums don't care enough to check the "meta data" embedded in the photos so that's why half the Internet is upside down these days. ;)

I find that if I am looking at photos on my Ipad and they are upside down I can go to edit-then crop and a magic rotate symbol will appear.

Mrs. SewNSew 04-29-2015 06:01 AM

Been there, done that. I have that Elna..it's called the "Special". I gave it to my daughter and it's a good machine. Mine also had that wheel frozen. I used Liquid Wrench and some heat. I would set it on the back porch in the sun and also used a hair dryer, but I wouldn't want to use a heat gun on it. My fingers were raw from working that dial. It took several days of working at it many times a day cuz even when you get it moving it will be very tight.

ArchaicArcane 04-29-2015 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 7180482)
So far I haven't dis-assembled it. I've looked on there to see what it does move and oiled it - then I ran the machine, turned it in every direction and ran the machine to work in oil. Everything else is working slick as snot on a door knob. The knob now rolls but very difficult.

I had a Bernina here that was like that. My fingers were sore the next day from trying to move the dials on it but it id finally loosen up too. It's really a matter of getting the oil into the part of the mechanism that's seized up and if you can't see where it goes it just compounds the problem. The main reason I suggested a synthetic is because it -shouldn't- harm the plastic/nylon whatever like a dinosaur oil could.

Jeanette Frantz 04-29-2015 03:53 PM

Miriam, I've never looked at an Elna, but if I know you, you'll make it work! Remember, any pressure you put on that thing has got to be "gentle"! I hope it works for you!

Jeanette

Mrs. SewNSew 04-29-2015 06:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have two machines up on the shop table right now. One is the Pfaff 332 with a binding zig-zag issue I am working on figuring out. The other is a Necchi Supernova in the process of cleaning and oiling. It's a very dirty birdy so I am having to dismantle parts to clean and reassemble as I go.

Tonight I found an odd part on the floor. Ohhhhh not feeling so good about this! Could it be a part associated with the Necchi tension? I am pretty sure I have all the right parts but it's not working so?

This is the part. It has threads inside. Anyone recognize it?

ArchaicArcane 04-29-2015 10:37 PM

Christy, it doesn't look tension related to me... it looks too small in diameter. How big is the post for the tensioner?

ArchaicArcane 04-29-2015 10:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Less the machine I played with today (that was a server and it was more swearing at than playing with) but the machine I'll play with tomorrow.

Detoured on the way home from the vet with the Queen. How fitting. ;)

Made by Jones, the lock on the case still works, shuttle and bobbin present and the decals on the faceplate and back are in fabulous condition. Even the bed isn't horrible. I've read that this is a relatively early model (serial 55638) based on the roses on the bed. It was later replaced with something closer to what's on the upper part of the pillar.

I guess I'm going to smell of sewing machine oil again tomorrow while I steal her jewelery for an hour or two. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518334[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518335[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518336[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518337[/ATTACH]