Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Is This Machine Made Out of Cast Iron??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/machine-made-out-cast-iron-t212087.html)

Gladys 01-26-2013 05:15 PM

Is This Machine Made Out of Cast Iron???

2 Attachment(s)
I found this sewing machine in my Great Aunts basement. It says Kenmore. It's model # is 117-959 and serial # is 426133.

It is so heavy and I don't have a clue about it. It looks rusty but it is covered with dust also not too rusty at all.

Was this used in factories or was it for personal use?

What in the world is the knob on the end for. Tried turning it and no luck.

Is it worth salvaging?

Any information, personal opinions, comments I will appreciate greatly! Thanks so very much!
:o

Tartan 01-26-2013 05:35 PM

Cool machine! Hopefully someone can give you some info on it. It looks kind of spaceship like to me.

Gladys 01-26-2013 05:43 PM

LOL Thanks Tartan, I think of the Rocketman when I see this. You should see an old vacuum cleaner I found down here in this basement. It looks just like the backpack the Rocketman wore and heavy too.

Mitch's mom 01-26-2013 05:45 PM

It is a badged White built for sears. The knob on the end is the clutch used to disengage the sewing mechanism while you are winding a bobbin. The machine is straight stitch only. Do you have the cord and foot controller? They can be tricky to match up to the built in plug on the machine Clean it up, give it a good oiling where metal meets metal and see what happens. I believe it is cast iron. Don't hold me to that though. Candace might pop in and have a bit more info.

owlvamp 01-26-2013 05:46 PM

I think it is really neat. Great find and it really looks like it was made with cast iron. Can't wait to see what everyone says about this machine.

J Miller 01-26-2013 05:50 PM

Sew-Classic has the cord block and foot controllers if you don't have the original.

I would say yes it's worth refurbishing. If for no other reason that it belonged to your great aunt.

The hand wheel will probably rotate away from you, as in clockwise, all my White made machines do.

Joe

irishrose 01-26-2013 05:55 PM

You found one of the tanks!! Clean it up and use it.

Gladys 01-26-2013 06:27 PM

Thanks everyone for your help.
No have not found the cord or foot controller yet but I've got a LOT more stuff to go through. I think knowing my great aunt that they are here somewhere as she and my grandmother never threw anything away.

I found an ancient iron that she had saved the original box from and that's what it's been stored in all these years.

Gladys 01-26-2013 06:30 PM

I have a question, why does it say Kenmore right above the light in that little metal strip there. Did Kenmore make Whites?

Gladys 01-26-2013 06:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's where it says Kenmore maybe it only meant the light was Kenmore? Hope I do this right.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]390949[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]390950[/ATTACH]