Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Machine Vibrating the Whole Floor -- What to Do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/machine-vibrating-whole-floor-what-do-t300393.html)

cathyvv 10-22-2018 09:52 AM

I agree with you - my suggestions were to eliminate the table and floor as the cause of vibration. Once you have eliminated location as the source of the problem, there is nothing left but the machine.

Mickey2 10-22-2018 10:11 AM

You haven't had a chance to anwer yet, and here lots of much the same advice up against each other. The common causes for vibration in these models are; worn motor belt, there is a timing belt inside that needs to be checked too, but it usually doesn't cause much vibration. As mentioned by several now, the machine has to be stable in the cabinet, as well as the cabinet feet on the floor. This adds can add up to quite a bit of rattle if more than one thing needs attention. When it's all checked, run the machine slowly with all plates off and see if you can detect any problem, something too loose, unhinged or comming appart. Even sticky parts can cause noise and vibrations, on some models parts move in open cam like links, and they can be a rattle if not all part move smoothly.

Cari-in-Oly 10-22-2018 10:44 AM

My thoughts are that the machine needs a good spa day. A thorough cleaning inside and then a thorough oiling. It shouldn't be vibrating this bad even on a less than perfect surface.

Cari

leonf 10-22-2018 02:24 PM

Have you taken the drive belt off and spun it by hand? is there a bit of the rotation that always has drag?.

Have you run the motor without the belt and looked for vibration? Throughly oil the underbed and wiggle bits and see if anything wobbles more than you think it should.

If none of these produce a clue, put it on your porch and PM me your addy and I'll take your problem away.

lindaschipper 10-23-2018 03:29 AM

I'd put yoga mats under the machine, and those interlocking play mats or machine tool mats under the table legs.

Mickey2 10-23-2018 03:44 AM

I have already tried a couple of foam type materials for this purpose. They didn't last very long, they lost their cushioning effect and went flat after a while. What type did you have success with? What have lasted for me is plain furniture felt pads, the thick sturdy type. It's sold various places, easy to find, and doesn't cost much. I have even tried a foamy type furniture pad with grip and anti-slide effect, made for the purpose, but it turned flat after a while.

twinsister2 10-23-2018 08:11 PM

I found that you need a very sturdy table that helps eliminate most of this problem! I went to a second hand store and purchased a old computer desk,,,,the kind that has a little shelf that pulls out for the key board... and it works wonderfully! Next my hubby drilled a hole about 3 inches across, on the side ( about 3 inches down,) so my sewing cord could be plugged in on the underside of the desk instead of going behind the thin backing, he even cut out a rectangle in the backing that matched my outlet, so my new table sits flush against the wall! Hope this helps

NZquilter 10-24-2018 04:10 AM

I have tried many of the helpful suggestions here. Thanks! I think it might be the belt, as it doesn't vibrate at all with the belt off. The belt isn't sitting in the small turning wheel on the motor, but sitting on the outside. I noticed that when I slowly turned the balance wheel by hand there is some resistance at one point of the complete circle. I'm just hoping it isn't any damage to the one plastic part in the interior arm! I don't think that can be fixed if it is cracked.

I also took apart the foot pedal (actually knee controller) and noticed that the machine starts vibrating once it hits an exact speed. Maybe I can loosen a spring and see if that helps.

It isn't the cabinet that is causing the vibrations. I took the machine out and tried it in my other cabinets, that I know don't vibrate, and the Pfaff still shook.

My Hubby has more mechanical aptitude than me, so we will be looking at it together this weekend.

leonf 10-24-2018 07:07 AM

I suspect you have found the problem. That pulley and belt are deigned to go together. If it tis riding on the hub of the pulley, it could be turning over a set screw and shaking the belt every revolution. Put the belt into the slot and see how it goes. Rats, I guess I won't be snagging this one from you... Fingers crossed.

NZquilter 10-24-2018 07:16 AM

The belt is actually too wide for the back motor pulley, so it's not fitting in the slot. I have one other older Singer belt. I'm going to try that. It's a bit cracked, so it won't be permanently used on the Pfaff.

Don't worry, Leon, I have no intention of letting this machine go! I'm really proud of it and can't wait to use it for my applique projects. I don't give up on machines that easily! If I couldn't use it in the house because of vibration, I get my DH to built me a sewing shed with a cement pad foundation!