Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Is this machine worth fixing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/machine-worth-fixing-t169844.html)

Judie 11-26-2011 07:28 AM

I have an old 830.. This 810 is like a little sister.. A bit smaller machine, but nearly the same machine without quite as many stitch options and such. My old Bernina has sewn a million miles and is still going strong, I love a Bernina. That's probably why I think it's worth the effort. I saw that I can order the service manual for $12..

I agree with K9dancer that the money would be better spent on a terrific old machine's repair than on a new plastic junk machine.

themachinelady 11-26-2011 07:40 AM

Judie, I think I would try to repair it and find other feet. I don't have a Bernina, but have heard that the older Berninas are great machines, but the newer ones are like crap. As I have said I don't have any experience, only what my former dealer (he has retired) told me about them. I do have a Bernette Serger and it is a little workhorse. The power sources aren't worth a crap, so finally found that a Janome one will fit it and bought that since Bernina has discontinued the old power source. Machine runs fine and the new power unit was only twenty dollars more than what they wanted for a used Bernette power source, and I have already been thru two of them, so hope this new one lasts longer. Just my two cents worth for the day. Wish I had some old feet to help out, but don't. Maybe you will find someone of this list that has some they don't use or will come across some for you. themachinelady

MaggieLou 11-26-2011 08:06 AM

You might try this link and see if they will fit. I don't know what type feet your Bernina uses. It's on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Low-Shank-Piec...2323318&sr=8-2

If these don't work just type in presser feet in the search and it will bring up more.

sewbizgirl 11-26-2011 02:50 PM

DO NOT give a Bernina Minimatic to the Goodwill!!! These are valuable and sought after machines. They go for a LOT of money on Ebay. It would be so much more worth it to get the machine fixed and use it, even if you have to pay $20 for a foot. Nothing compares to the Bernina machines made during that time period (just before everything went computerized...)

totosmom 11-26-2011 02:51 PM

Worth fixing? Oh yeah! Those old Berninas are real work horses -- all metal, not computerized, beautiful stitches. There is a thriving market for those old Berninas, and the portable ones are especially in demand.

Oh wait. No, no, I think you should just pack it up and send it to me. I've been looking for one of those to take to my Quilts of Valor group. So, yeah, just send it directly to me and I will give it a nice home with no need to put any further effort into it.

JudyTheSewer 11-26-2011 05:11 PM

[QUOTE=Judie;4721566]... Sounds like it may be worth the trouble after all.

Oh, I am so glad! I was feeling kind of sick thinking that you have that beauty in your hands and might pass on keeping it! I have 2 vintage Bernina's and bought a third one for my DD. She LOVES it. There is a Yahoo Group called BerninaThirtySomethings that has a great group of people interested in these mechanical machines. I know those original gears in the 730 and 830 crack so I am thinking that your machine has that same problem gear. Yes, the gear can be replaced and the replaced gear will last forever! Your daughter will be so happy to have that machine! -Judy

katykwilt 11-27-2011 07:40 AM

http://www.allbrands.com has a lot of sewing machine parts -- I found an adaptor for Singer slant needle ($4.99) to use the snap on-feet (4.99 too). Perhaps you can find what you're lookinig for there.

KimS 11-27-2011 08:00 AM

Don't know enough about this subject to comment about the machine but would like to say that with living in Southeast Missouri (20 miles north of the Arkansas State Line) my heart goes out to you and your family after having gone through that horrible tornado! It will take years and years to recover but it sounds like you're off to a good start. Sending huge hugs!! :)

subyz 11-27-2011 03:43 PM

Try craigslist.org and freecycle.org!

If you can do the work cheaply yourself, I think you will have a much better machine than you would have with a 'reasonably' priced newer machine made in China! Try posting your needs on www.craigslist.org or www.freecycle.org I have picked up wonderful older machines for next to nothing! Best wishes!

Judie 11-27-2011 09:41 PM

Thank you everyone for your input.. I think I will hang on to this lovely little 810 and fix it one way or another. The feet will come as we need to have them.. I'll start out with the one she'll need the most.. the all purpose straight/zig-zag foot. Then get more later.

Most of you confirmed my original feelings about the machine.. yes, it is worth fixing.. I'll do that in time... Great input, thank you everyone.

Judie