Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Which machine would you buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/machine-would-you-buy-t267794.html)

ThayerRags 07-20-2015 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 7262621)
Does the 227 use a vertical bobbin?....If the 227 is a class 15 bobbin I would go with it....
Rodney

Yes Rodney, the Singer 227M (manufactured in Monza, Italy) has a vertical Class 15 bobbin. It also has a feed dog drop with a deck-mounted knob.

I’m planning on painting a 9-spoke handwheel tan or brown (if it will fit and work with the bobbin winder) and fitting the tan handcrank that I came up with a while back onto the one that I have. Or, I may just notch the existing disc handwheel to accommodate the crank finger. I did that with a Singer 185K a few years ago and liked how it came out, but then let a gal in Texas talk me out of it.....

I’d go with the Singer 227M.

CD in Oklahoma

barny 07-20-2015 01:56 PM

I would have to have both of them too. They are both so pretty.

SheilaM 07-20-2015 02:11 PM

I would love to buy both but I don't have the room , will try out the 227 tomorrow but very tempted to buy the 15/91 . Would it cost much to rewire it?

DonnaMiller 07-20-2015 11:34 PM

I would get the 15. It is easy for me to refurbish, having done several. It is a good FM machine. It is easy to maintain with cleaning and oil and will last another couple of lifetimes with care. Everything you need is available at SewClassic.com. I just placed a big order with them today. Go for it and learn how to clean and refurbish machines along the way. A good project.

lovelyl 07-21-2015 04:07 AM

Depends on what you will be doing with the machine. If you just want it for piecing or general straight line sewing, you can't go wrong with either. If you plan to FMQ, then the 15-91 would be best mainly because of the throat space. My 15-91 will FMQ anything I throw at it with no tension issues, etc. I have several vintage (FW, 201, 328, 66, and more) and two modern Janome machines, but my 15-91 is by far my favorite.
Good luck, let us know what you decide!

Wanabee Quiltin 07-21-2015 05:29 AM

I am sewing on a 1952 15-91 and the stitches are just perfect. The machine is quiet and hums when sewing. I have a second one we just picked up at Goodwill for $5.00 in perfect shape except it needs cords and foot pedal. DH will fix that. I would personally buy both machines but I don't know if that is best for you or the price.

roserips 07-21-2015 07:37 AM

Looking at your pictures you have a tuff decision, they both look like great machines. You know you might make them am offer for both machines at a price you can afford. You never know sometimes they just like to free up the space and you might get a really great deal.

ManiacQuilter2 07-21-2015 08:19 AM

Welcome to this board. You will find lots of facts and help from this great group of experts here. I would certainly try the Singer. They use to be pretty good machines.

Rodney 07-21-2015 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 7262795)
227 would be an adequate machine but the 15 would be my choice. Rodney????????????

I see a lot of 15-91s. I only rarely if ever see a 227. Unusual gets my vote almost every time.
Rodney

RosaSharon 07-21-2015 12:17 PM

For me, it would be important to know which was the easiest to change the bobbin. My Granny had a sewing machine that you had to tip up and it was terrible. I change the color of my bobbin thread a lot as I like to match the blocks when I am in "quilting" mode. If you don't plan to use it, and are a collector, that would be a different story.