Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Machines frof CraigsList Haul (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/machines-frof-craigslist-haul-t187054.html)

Ccorazone 04-24-2012 09:52 AM

Machines frof CraigsList Haul

8 Attachment(s)
Photos of some of the machines I got from CraigsList haul. I can identify most but unsure about the one with the burnt wiring. Some need a lot of help others just purrrrr.
Also have photos of attachments and different feet. I'll post later.

jljack 04-24-2012 10:04 AM

The one with burnt wires is a 15. Nice collection!! You did good!

mighty 04-25-2012 07:39 AM

Wow, great find!!!

quilt addict 04-25-2012 09:31 AM

That is a haul. Nice job. Looks like several Singer 15s. I think the gold colored on may have been a repaint by someone. Is the word "singer" on the arm painted or decal. From the photo it looks like someone painted with stencil that was not tight to the surface so the edges are not sharp.

Vintage.Singers.NYC 04-25-2012 12:11 PM

- Photo #1 is a 15-90 from the late '40s to mid 1950s. Judging by the striated faceplate & inspection plate I'd guess the serial numbers start with AK-, AL- or AM-. Note that it has an aftermarket light (giveaway red switch) replacing the original.

- #2 is a 15-91, or a 15-90 that has had the motor stripped from it. I can't tell the year as it's missing the plates and I can't make out the serial number.

- #3 and #4 appear to be the same machine, a 15-91, I'd guess from the early '50s. Note that the power cable has been replaced at some point, as you can see brown wiring going into the terminal plug.

- Photo #5 is a Singer 206, their first domestic zigzag. The machine in the photo is from 1953--if my eyes are correct, the serial number starts with EJ--and based on that prefix, the machine was made in Kilbowie and is one of the aluminum ones. That will make it easier for you to tip the machine back in a cabinet, as you'll need to do; tipping it back is the only way to access the bobbin on this machine.

- The machine in photos #6 and #7 is a Singer 15-90, though I've certainly never seen one in that color; judging by the paint quality, the machine was almost certainly painted after purchase, as no Singer came out of the factory looking like that. From the photo I cannot tell if the Singer decal on the arm was masked off for painting or added after the paint job. The faceplate indicates this machine is from the 1930s or early '40s, assuming that's the original faceplate, and you can see the original motor has been replaced with a white-colored aftermarket motor.

- Finally, #8 is a crinkle-finish model 66 with backtack. The chromed handwheel and non-marked tension dial, assuming those are the original parts that were on this machine, indicate it's from the 1930s or early '40s.

sunny42539 04-26-2012 07:44 AM

The color on the Singers in#6&7 are of industrial machines used in sewing factories. I worked in sewing factories for 30 years and sewed on machines this color.

J Miller 04-26-2012 08:13 AM

That gold 99 would be a perfect candidate for my rewiring tute. Too bad your there and I'm here.

Joe

Ccorazone 04-26-2012 10:01 AM

Thanks for all of the information. I'll be sure to watch for your wiring tutorial.

wolph33 04-26-2012 10:15 AM

great group of oldies

Nagi 04-26-2012 08:37 PM

You will be busy for a while. Lookin forward to finish product.:thumbup: