Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Maybe in need of a replacement machine. Suggestions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/maybe-need-replacement-machine-suggestions-t204730.html)

Kittywolf13 10-31-2012 08:54 AM

Maybe in need of a replacement machine. Suggestions?

Some of you know i have a touch & sew 758 that kind of works. I Haven't had time to work on her anymore but I wanted to get some suggestions, in the event that I can't get her running what do you guys suggest I replace her with? (I probably won't toss the machine. Probably shelve it) my requirements are simple:

Electirc (I'm sure shes not terriably interested in treadling her self. Thinks its cool though)
Just straight stitch is fine (she never used the cams on her 758)
Reverse
and simple to thread/wind the bobbin. (she is apperantly bobbin challenged like me! Haha)
Singer preferred simply because she wants to keep the cabinet. (but if you think it will fit then I'm game for other brands!
And no "plastic fantastic" :P

Any suggestions?? This is my mothers machine so it will be for her. :) Thanks in advance!

pinkCastleDH 10-31-2012 09:25 AM

Simple is in the eye of the beholder but the bobbin setup and threading on the 201 seem pretty straightforward to me, certainly moreso than the 66.

Candace 10-31-2012 09:44 AM

Singer 301.

pinkCastleDH 10-31-2012 09:52 AM

Candace - does the 301 fit the standard Singer cabinet? I have no idea but I read about long beds and things and it makes me wonder.

Kittywolf13 10-31-2012 10:07 AM

Pink castle, very true. I guess the less turns, divots, wraps she has to make the better. :P

I will go home and measure the base of the machine and maybe someone can help me. I think there's a 301 or a 201 on CL at the moment in and around my area. :)

J Miller 10-31-2012 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kittywolf13 (Post 5625665)
Some of you know i have a touch & sew 758 that kind of works. I Haven't had time to work on her anymore but I wanted to get some suggestions, in the event that I can't get her running what do you guys suggest I replace her with? (I probably won't toss the machine. Probably shelve it) my requirements are simple:

Electirc (I'm sure shes not terriably interested in treadling her self. Thinks its cool though)
Just straight stitch is fine (she never used the cams on her 758)
Reverse
and simple to thread/wind the bobbin. (she is apperantly bobbin challenged like me! Haha)
Singer preferred simply because she wants to keep the cabinet. (but if you think it will fit then I'm game for other brands!
And no "plastic fantastic" :P

Any suggestions?? This is my mothers machine so it will be for her. :) Thanks in advance!

Electric -
Straight stitch -
Reverse -
Simple bobbin winding -

My suggestion; Singer 66-16 or 15-90

Joe

makitmama 10-31-2012 10:27 AM

any clean japanese clone... or a basic kenmore, although those can have trickier bobbins. I typically give kids I teach to sew one of my japanese clones.
of course, a 221 by its very nature is NOT intimidating and I have gotten scaredy cats to try them.

Candace 10-31-2012 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH (Post 5625798)
Candace - does the 301 fit the standard Singer cabinet? I have no idea but I read about long beds and things and it makes me wonder.

Any 301 needs a cradle. Usually the shortbeds are in tables and longbeds are portables.

Kittywolf13 10-31-2012 03:38 PM

thanks for the suggestions guys! i had to make a document file with pictures to visualize all the different machines suggested to me! :)

miriam 11-01-2012 03:06 AM

Singer 403 with just a zz cam - similar to the machine she had but basic and easy to use.