Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Meet 'Charlee', a 1920 Singer 66-1 (Pic heavy) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/meet-charlee-1920-singer-66-1-pic-heavy-t177583.html)

Whigrose 01-30-2012 04:01 PM

Meet 'Charlee', a 1920 Singer 66-1 (Pic heavy)

3 Attachment(s)
Hello all,
I'm fairly new to the QB but have joined two swaps already-Monthy Quilt Block and Quilt for Quilters swap. I would like to comment on one thing that stands out to me -folks are very friendly and willing to help out the new-comers, either that, you all have a blast watching us 'new kids' with our learning curves <bg>.

Dh and I love to haunt the local antique malls for a hobby. Last week we spied two machines that piqued my interest and I knew just where to go for information. Having been a visitor to the Vintage Machines forum, I knew who I wanted to turn to for guidance, someone knowledgable and fun. So I shot off an e-mail to Charlee asking if she would help me regarding evaluating the machines and reliable resources that I could learn from - and she did. Fast forward.

I made the decision to go for the 66-1. It called to me. DH goes to pick her up and I wait at home for what seems an eternity. When eventually he turns the corner to come up the drive I spy not one, but TWO machines in the bed of the p-up! Nope, you'll have to wait to find out what the other one is :-)

Since last Wednesday I have been steadily working on bringing back some of her luster. I lovingly tease her cabinet falls under 'Section 8' housing, but really, it's not too bad. Don't get me wrong, it's not great and dh is going to give it a go with some glue and clamps. She wasn't horribly dirty or gunked up -Thanks Muv! Your tut on You Tube was a huge confidence booster!. We need to get a belt and bobbin ring, other than that, she's good to go. I'm giddy with excitement to hear her purr. I absolutely enjoyed every minute of working her over.

Meet the First Lady of my vintage machines, 'Charlee', in thanks to all of QB's Charlee unselfish guidance and support.

Charlee 01-30-2012 04:21 PM

WOW!! You did an AWESOME job washing her face!! :) I'm honored, thank you!

miriam 01-30-2012 04:31 PM

Charlee is transformed!!!!! I love the bit about her living in section 8 housing - I about snorted my tea and fell off the chair - love the name. I'm glad you found Muv's videos (BTW - she has a new one - I just posted it on the recipe section a little bit ago.)

Bennett 01-30-2012 04:40 PM

What a beauty! (There aren't any whistling smileys). :thumbup: She shines so well you'd think she was new. It's addictive to transform them--just be warned.

Janis 01-30-2012 04:57 PM

WOW!!! Charlee is beautiful!!! What a wonderful looking machine!!!

jillnjo 01-30-2012 05:42 PM

Fantastic! Charlee looks beautiful! I think bringing one of these old machines to life is a blast!! I have one that will be set in her newly refinished house tomorrow and I'll post a picture. You did a great job!

annthreecats 01-30-2012 05:52 PM

What a great story (I agree, Charlee, the board member, is a gem) and a very pretty machine. I hope you enjoy her for many years.

deedum 01-30-2012 06:15 PM

Wowsers! She is a beauty!

JMCDA 01-30-2012 06:20 PM

Just beautiful - Red Eyes are just stunning when they are brought back to life - great job!

Joann

jaciqltznok 01-30-2012 08:08 PM

wow..a red eye..so pretty....but do tell me that she is NOT going to a permanent plant stand....if you need the leather let me know, I am going to place an order with Brewer sewing by Friday!