Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Meet Our New Addition: Pippi Longhandle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/meet-our-new-addition-pippi-longhandle-t267490.html)

Sunflowerzz 07-12-2015 08:03 AM

Meet Our New Addition: Pippi Longhandle

1 Attachment(s)
We have tried...really we have. We have passed up so many machines and I have sold at least four and given away ten to the Boles fire victims last December and that cut the herd by about half. I couldn't pass up the Elna Plana Automatic last week and yesterday I just couldn't pass up this girl.

I almost didn't look in the box because it was on the lower shelf and had no handle on the case. My back has been acting up and I didn't want to pinch that nerve again but I knew whatever was in the box was HEAVY!!! So I turned to leave but just then DH walked up so I asked him if we should take a peek at what was inside. He said sure. So he bent down and pulled the case off the shelf onto the floor, I lifted up the lid and there she was!!! A squeal of delight escaped me, it couldn't be helped as it was a totally involuntary squeal of pure surprise and delight! Just like when opening a great Christmas present when we were kids.
:o:D

She was also frozen, there was about a 1/4 inch play in the clutch wheel. I decided to make an offer to the manager of the thrift store. I showed him that she was frozen so he dropped the price $5.00 down from $20.00 so we brought her home.

Something magical then happened, hubby started checking her while I was online downloading a free manual. I wasn't able to get to close to her after that....He finished freeing her up at midnight last night, that was about 9 hours of working on her.
THEY BONDED! He just couldn't seem to walk away from the old gal. LOL I really think it might have been love at first sight. He has only acted this way with one other machine and that is the Blue Kenmore 117.740.

He used the singer oil you see in the photo, she was a gummed up mess!! No rust as she looked brand new. I have never seen a machine that looked and felt like it was covered in thick molasses that had partially hardened. Every single knob, moving part etc, he had to work back and forth by hand and for the clutch rod? the main big rod off the clutch into the machine he had to get a giant screwdriver and gently work it back and forth oiling, letting it sit while he worked on another area.

She purrs like a kitten now, sews very quiet and had perfectly straight stitches, one of the nicest I have seen. Hubby is still in bed sleeping, plumb wore himself out yesterday working on his cute little Pippi Longhandle. Yes I loved Pippi Longstocking as a little girl.

The best part is she was one of the last three on my find and buy list. I still want to find a 222K and Two Spool...well, there is always hope...right?
;)

So if you come across a terrific gummed up machine there is hope.

All you need is Singer sewing machine oil, a day or two, a few tools, a little love for the machine in front of you
and a boatload of elbow grease!

Have a wonderful day.

Caroline94535 07-12-2015 08:35 AM

Be still my heart!

Man; I wish I lived closer to civilization!

Cathieinut 07-12-2015 08:37 AM

She definitely does look shiny and pretty! Just makes you wonder what that goo was that had her all frozen up? Someone will probably have a really good idea and then we'll know in the future what to look for. Great job and well deserved sleep time

Rodney 07-12-2015 08:40 AM

Those have been coming up a lot lately. She is a pretty one! Congrats on your husband's new machine. ;)
Rodney

NikkiLu 07-12-2015 08:50 AM

WOW - I have never seen anything like this with the "handle".

tessagin 07-12-2015 09:12 AM

I would have squealed too! Beautiful. Going to BOLO for one of these.

Macybaby 07-12-2015 09:42 AM

I'd have squealed too!

Moral - NEVER EVER decide not to look inside a case.

Sunflowerzz 07-12-2015 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 7254740)
I'd have squealed too!

Moral - NEVER EVER decide not to look inside a case.

I got it! Lesson learned....LOL

Sunflowerzz 07-12-2015 11:12 AM

Thanks guys, she is a beauty and she is running well but the brown red gooey oil keeps oozing out all over the place, even down the needle. Ugh... We will have to keep sewing scraps with her for a few months until she clears up and every once in awhile she still sticks a little somewhere. So it will be probably be several months...but she's worth it!

Cari-in-Oly 07-12-2015 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz (Post 7254781)
Thanks guys, she is a beauty and she is running well but the brown red gooey oil keeps oozing out all over the place, even down the needle. Ugh... We will have to keep sewing scraps with her for a few months until she clears up and every once in awhile she still sticks a little somewhere. So it will be probably be several months...but she's worth it!

I wonder if in her past someone over oiled her with Marvel Mystery Oil. There's a guy on Utube who swears by using that stuff in his sewing machines. Yuck.

Cari