Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   In MIL's attic... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/mils-attic-t262897.html)

WIChix 03-20-2015 05:48 PM

In MIL's attic...

DH & I went up to the farm to turn on the heat for Saturday morning coffee. While we were there, I asked him to show me the treadle upstairs. Oh, he says, Aunt Edythe's machine? We head upstairs, it is a Climax in a 4 drawer treadle cabinet. (Serial # 3137596). Found the shuttle, but no bobbins or other accessories. Does still turn.

Then, he says, Mom's machine wasn't fancy like this one. (His mom passed in 2014 at the age of 96.) I ask where that one is...in the attic. We got up into the attic, string the light up. After some searching we find it tucked behind his brothers stamp collection. There is no top, and its back is to us. It is a New Home, appears all black. (Perhaps the #4, 2 drawer treadle cabinet?) Machine has the older, curved shape. Couldn't get the plates open, but one had the patent dates on it...a tiny bit corroded but I think would clean up easy. Peering at it in the shadow of the light behind me I think I saw a bobbin in the shuttle. Still turns, a little stiff at one point in the revolution but not at all bad. I think this machine most likely belonged to MILs mother in law who passed away in the 1940s, and had immigrated from Sweden I think in the 1880s.

Neither machine had needles.

Those machines will probably stay in the farmhouse attic another 20 or 40 years...along with the stamps, the vintage 70s frog cookie jar, old birthday cards from the '40s, furs and deer mounts, flour sacks and rocking chairs, white wicker baby buggy, victrola, Eastlake mirror and victorian side table.

But if I can take one out, which would you recommend? :)

J Miller 03-20-2015 07:06 PM

Both.

Another 20 to 40 years in that attic and they'll be totally ruined. You already noted some of the damage.

Joe

miriam 03-21-2015 03:12 AM

Take the one you think you would be able to make work and use.

quilterpurpledog 03-21-2015 03:33 AM

Why not rescue both of them? This sounds like a terrible waste of wonderful keepsakes if someone doesn't step up to the task. Why not you?

KenmoreGal2 03-21-2015 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by WIChix (Post 7134908)
Those machines will probably stay in the farmhouse attic another 20 or 40 years...along with the stamps, the vintage 70s frog cookie jar, old birthday cards from the '40s, furs and deer mounts, flour sacks and rocking chairs, white wicker baby buggy, victrola, Eastlake mirror and victorian side table.

I'd love to go poking around your MIL's house! It sounds like it's full of treasures. Does anyone ever live there?

Wanabee Quiltin 03-21-2015 07:31 AM

Take what you can, they will both get ruined eventually. What a shame. I had an Aunt who kept all her father's woodworking tools and tons of other really nice stuff in a basement. While I lived out of state, the house was run over with a bulldozer. I drive by there once in a while and think of all those tools underground. He was a master carpenter.

Rodney 03-21-2015 09:50 AM

If they're just sitting in an empty house why not bring them home where you live where you can enjoy them? The others are right. The machines are far better off in a climate controlled room. If you don't actually own them, ask the person who does if it would be ok. They might be happy knowing someone in the family is enjoying them.
Rodney

WIChix 03-21-2015 10:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the photos. Please excuse the over exposure, dust, oats, and assorted debris from storage!

Edythe's:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]514344[/ATTACH]

MILs:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]514345[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]514346[/ATTACH]

Glenn 03-21-2015 11:44 AM

Both machines when cleaned will be wonderful machines. The New Home is a great sewer and so is the Climax. I would take them both home.
Skip

fktsewing 03-21-2015 12:22 PM

It is time for an intervention---rescue both of those machines now!!! What a find and a treasure. Why let them continue to deteriorate and rot? If anyone else wanted them, they would not be there---so grab your hubby, start the car and go rescue those babies--don't stop for anyone or anything!!!!! Just make sure you show us pics when you get them home and all cleaned up.