Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Minnesota Treadle - my great-grandmother's machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/minnesota-treadle-my-great-grandmothers-machine-t238208.html)

Jeanette Frantz 01-05-2014 06:52 PM

Minnesota Treadle - my great-grandmother's machine

My cousin in Van Buren, AR has my great-grandmother's treadle sewing machine. It is a Minnesota. The machine would have to be completely restored, including repainting. My uncle (who shall remain nameless) left it in a shed and the roof leaked on it. Add to that the fact that my great-grandmother was in her 90's when she died (1961). Somewhere, I have the serial number off the machine, but we've just returned from vacation, so I don't know where my notes are. I do know that the shuttle is missing, and that may make it impossible to restore. My knowledge on this is slim to none! I did promise my cousin I would help her all I could. The needle bar, though stiff, still turns, the balance wheel turns (it's also pretty stiff), but nothing that a little oiling/Tri-flow wouldn't remedy. However, the presser bar is frozen. I will probably be calling upon the board for help with this one!

Jeanette Frantz

Rodney 01-05-2014 08:18 PM

Take the nose plate off. Oil everything you see. Also oil the bottom linkages and put oil in every little hole you see on the machine. Now comes the hard part. Walk away from it for a few days and let the oil work. While you're waiting start scouring Ebay and all the other places you can think of for the shuttle. They're out there. You'll eventually find one.
Good luck with the project.
Rodney

quiltingcandy 01-05-2014 08:25 PM

It amazes me how many of these machines were put into a shed or back porch or worse, just outside. One time I was watching a tv show about the sewing machine and it was said the home sewing machine was the second most important purchase for the family up through the 1950's. It was behind the washing machine. (They said not everyone needed a car but they needed the sewing machine.) So to be so abusive to such an items just is incredible to me.

miriam 01-05-2014 11:42 PM

Ususally they look worse than they are and can be oiled up and will soon work.

GreyQ 01-06-2014 06:23 AM

You have come to the right place for advice. I'm looking for a treadle base for a Minnesota C. You'd think in MN it'd be easy. My only advice, don't give up. It was your great gran's and it doesn't matter if the decals are worn, if there are scratches in the cabinet; it's part of your family history. Forget about the stupid uncle, focus on your great gran's hands and your hands, they are touching across time.

Macybaby 01-06-2014 07:54 AM

It's most likely a Davis made machine (Though Sears reused the name after they stopped using Davis to make them). If that is the case, getting a shuttle will cost $10-$20, and it's not that hard to do. Needles may be another matter . . . you can get a few and then only use the machine for light work so you don't break them often.

I figure that is what I'll do with my machines that are hard to get needles for - I'll save the heavy work for the Singers since getting needles for them is simple and cheap.

jlhmnj 01-06-2014 08:39 AM

Minnesota's were commonly made by Davis, Domestic, and White. There's another maker or two before Davis. A picture is best for ID though good chance it's a Davis.

IF a Davis Minnesota, shuttles are available online like Cathy says. MTx190 industrial needles are a good inexpensive replacement to use for Davis Minnesota machines which take the "Davis Long" needle.

Jon

deplaylady 01-07-2014 08:30 AM

I may have an extra shuttle for a Minnesota. I need to check to see what I have - I have two extra - I think one was for a Minnesota, need to make sure I still have that one.

craftker 01-08-2014 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by GreyQ (Post 6496104)
Forget about the stupid uncle, focus on your great gran's hands and your hands, they are touching across time.

You almost made me cry. I have my Grandma's machine. I would never sell it and I feel closer to her when I use it.

Jeanette Frantz 01-08-2014 10:27 AM

If you have a shuttle, please let me know. I'll be happy to pay you for it. Please send me a PM.

Thank you.

Jeanette Frantz