Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Modernage for $20 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/modernage-%2420-t228995.html)

Grace MooreLinker 08-30-2013 06:42 AM

Sure looks good, I'd buy it if I lived close.it's cute, wonder how it sews?

Belfrybat 08-30-2013 07:00 AM

I'd buy her in a heartbeat and name her "baby blue". I can never find deals like that around here.

Cecilia S. 08-30-2013 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 6261827)

Zozee, did you buy it?

See my avatar photo? It is a White. A Blue White. ;-) Just like the modernage you saw. It is amazing. Weighs 35 pounds. You will absolutely not regret the purchase. Keep us posted!

Cecilia S. 08-30-2013 05:05 PM

It sews like a dream.

You can sit there sewing sewing sewing just sewing stitching sewing nothing at all, mesmerized by the purr of the motor and the perfect stitchiness of the stitches.

My favourite machine ever.

(I am a novice sewist, by the way... but the machine really is just dreamy.)

zozee 08-30-2013 09:37 PM

I have been texting the seller, but don't like the vibe I'm getting. Can't put my finger on it. Short, curt answers, not very forthcoming with answers. Can't tell if it's man or woman. If I'd gotten good vibes, I might follow up, but I dunno...

Akweiland 08-30-2013 09:45 PM

Beautiful machine! I will enable you...BUY it!!!! :)

Cecilia S. 08-31-2013 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 6265239)
I have been texting the seller, but don't like the vibe I'm getting. Can't put my finger on it. Short, curt answers, not very forthcoming with answers. Can't tell if it's man or woman. If I'd gotten good vibes, I might follow up, but I dunno...

Zozee, this is not to push you towards a machine if you don't feel comfortable, but I do just want to say a few things about CL-type ads and vibes in responses. Often the people selling these old machines are old themselves. So, they may get a son or neighbour to post the ad for them, and therefore you may get moronic replies, or replies such as "It works my mom used it." or "Call only, no email, go call this number if you are interested."

That sort of reply can sound off-putting, but that is how I got my Great Blue White; the lady had lost her vision, and her son (who himself was pretty old and not good with computers), had placed the ad for her. Bad photo, a reply that just said call-this-number, etc.

Another -amazing- machine I got, I almost did not go see because of similar correspondence. Curt, incomplete answers, no name signed at the bottom of email, etc. Well, I did go get it (Phoenix 429 for $20), and it turned out the woman was -really- nice. She was selling because she had nasty cancer and her arm was now in a permanent tension-bandage, and she could not lift the machine anymore. Her emails were probably short because typing was difficult. And she probably was not chirpy and chatty because she was sad about letting go about this part of life. But she contacted me three more times after that to tell me she had found more bobbins, presser feet, etc.

All that said, there are creeps out there. I -always- tell someone exactly where I am going. I never give out my own phone number or address. You can never be too careful. But, do be aware that not everyone is e-mail savvy, or English could be their second language, or they could be old and ill, etc etc etc.

For $20, I suspect you do not have a rip-off artist on your hands, but more likely something similar to what I have described.

Again, just food for thought.

-C,

tenngal 08-31-2013 01:51 PM

The price seems right - and it's cute......

Carol34446 08-31-2013 01:54 PM

Nice looking machine, I would get it if it was around here.

zozee 08-31-2013 04:27 PM

Cecilia, I have had those thoughts as well--that maybe it's an old person dictating a text message. I hadn't thought about the fact that someone else who is computer savvy could be posting for an older or impaired person. I guess my first reaction to short messages is that they're men . That alone makes me nervous. I have thought about asking if we can meet in public, but this machine might be too heavy. Besides, I already bought a Singer 15 91 today and my husband bought me a Janome yesterday for my birthday. He doens't understand why I "need' two; I can't fathom his reaction to a third--the money isn't the issue. :) I just tell him it's like his guitar collection--they haven't different "sounds", they have different action/playability/capabilities. I might give this a third consideration and just call, which was their request. Thanks for the second viewpoint. I can tell you're sensitive and thoughtful.