Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Motor Runs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/motor-runs-t312261.html)

craftiladi 08-26-2020 08:32 AM

Motor Runs

1 Attachment(s)
But the needle bar doesn't go up & down. I am sure this is from someone before me using the bobbin winder. Good strong motor sound. I have oiled and played around wiggling the wheels back forth but not loosening. This is a little vintage singer straight stitch machine. I know on my older Kenmore you hold the outer wheel while with our other hand turn the inner wheel. Thanks for any advice you might be able to share.

bkay 08-26-2020 09:55 AM

I'm not an expert on machine repair, but that is how you fill a bobbin on a Singer, too. You hold the outer wheel and loosen (righty tighty, lefty loosey) the inner wheel. To change it back to sewing, you just tighten that inner wheel.

I'm pretty sure there is nothing major wrong (you can't kill an old Singer with a stick), probably just needs oiling or someone put something back in wrong.

Someone better able to help you with anything beyond the bobbin winder will be along soon.

bkay

leonf 08-26-2020 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The silver knurled wheel must turn separately from the green balance wheel to just spin the bobbin.
a rubber disc for releasing stuck jar lids may be enough to help you get a grip on it. They can be really stuck. Oil between the sliver and green wheels. be patient. sometimes if they are really stuck I will take the needle out and put a little block of wood under the needlebar to hold the green when from spinning, but only if I a m desperate. another option and last ditch measure is to loosen the gib screw in the chrome disc, ( make sure you have a proper screwdriver, they are easy to mess up) And see if it will turn then you may need to take the chromes disc off then and oil between the washer and the diss. Don't get the 3 pronged washer in the wrong way. You will only need to turn the silver wheel about 90 degrees to get it free. Fingers crossed.

leonf 08-26-2020 11:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the clutch washer that does the work.

craftiladi 09-01-2020 04:03 AM

leonf...huge thank-you for your very detailed advice. I had waited to respond hoping to be able to tell you I got the wheel free to turn. I have not messed with the screw on the wheel but I guess that's next. I had hoped with oiling and just working the wheel for a couple of days would loosen it up. When I first started messing w/ it the needle bar didn't move at all, it now slightly moves but still not completely fixed.

craftiladi 09-01-2020 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by bkay (Post 8413078)
I'm not an expert on machine repair, but that is how you fill a bobbin on a Singer, too. You hold the outer wheel and loosen (righty tighty, lefty loosey) the inner wheel. To change it back to sewing, you just tighten that inner wheel.

I'm pretty sure there is nothing major wrong (you can't kill an old Singer with a stick), probably just needs oiling or someone put something back in wrong.

Someone better able to help you with anything beyond the bobbin winder will be along soon.

bkay

BKay, exactly why I would much rather have my vintage ladies than a plastic computerized machine. I have a beautiful Brother Embroidery machine and very seldom use it. :( This darn outer wheel just won't loosen up-which is why I bought an independent bobbin winder years ago.

bkay 09-01-2020 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi (Post 8414561)
BKay, exactly why I would much rather have my vintage ladies than a plastic computerized machine. I have a beautiful Brother Embroidery machine and very seldom use it. :( This darn outer wheel just won't loosen up-which is why I bought an independent bobbin winder years ago.

I had a similar problem a few years ago on a Singer 503. I bought a wrench at Home Depot that worked for me. It looks like the wrench you use to remove an oil filter on a car, but it's rubber. (That 503 always stayed somewhat stiff to unscrew to fill a bobbin, but it never had a problem sewing.)
Another thing I've heard that might help is to put the machine on end, so that the oil will penetrate the wheel. (Make sure to prop it up so it doesn't fall.) I would continue to oil it everywhere until it breaks loose. That includes the underside and inside the face plate where anything "should" move. I use the term "should" move as I assume most things are not moving as they should. The problem could be anywhere and not necessarily the wheel.
bkay

leonf 09-01-2020 09:52 AM

bkay is correct. The wheels are just a part of the potential problem. Lots of times the bobbin areas or behind the faceplate can get jammed. wiggle all the pieces you can and see if you can get something loose.

bkay 09-02-2020 04:24 AM

Just to affirm "the problem could be anywhere" idea - yesterday, I was working on a 301 I've had for a while, but not not messed with. it still had the fabric under the needle that was there when I bought the machine. I didn't test it out, as I bought it with the understanding it had a problem (at a greatly reduced price).

I was checking it out and oiling the oiling spots (and trying to remember where I put the cord and controller) and it was really hard to turn the hand wheel. At first, I thought something was wrong with the machine, then it occurred to me that needle was probably dull. It took a minute to realize that it was the fabric under the needle that was the problem. I removed the fabric and it turned over just fine. It was really stiff fabric that looked like standard quilting fabric.

The moral of the story is "keep looking".

bkay

craftiladi 09-02-2020 06:43 AM

Yes back in the early days of my collecting vintage machines I was inclined to tear them apart to be able to fix them. My brain is pretty rusty so I appreciate all the great advise. Yes it time to dig a little deeper. I just know this little gal is going to sew like a knife going through butter , she just needs hers joints fixe...Hmm like me lol