Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   My $20 find (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-%2420-find-t279498.html)

Mad Mexican 06-11-2016 09:36 PM

My $20 find

1 Attachment(s)
We to the habitat for humanity store today. Just a rumor I hear last month that a heavy duty machine was being sold. Well I came up on this red table for $20 and found it with a Sears Kenmore 158.16031. Only problem, no manual. Had to buy one on line when I got home.

The ladies that worked there didn't even know it had a sewing machine in the table. They thought I was talking about the one that was sold and on hold. They were as surprised as I was.

Someone had painted the storage bright red and then painted the fold out with chalk board paint. It was being used as a chalk board.

Does anyone have info on this machine? Is it heavy duty? I can't seem to find out anything on it. I know it was from 1973 I did find out that much.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552041[/ATTACH]

Thanks,
Mad Mexican

Jane Quilter 06-12-2016 01:15 AM

I think this was my first sewing machine, got it at sears. I dont remember it being heavy duty, but it sewed well and it did everything that was asked of it

miriam 06-12-2016 02:37 AM

On some Kenmore machines, you may need a manual to figure out the knobs. Does reverse work? I can barely see the front of the machine.

QuiltMom2 06-12-2016 03:31 AM

That is the only machine I ever purchased brand new (done while I was in high school many moons ago) and I'm proud to say it's still a great machine. I paid $187.59 including sales tax (which I wrote in the back of the manual!) While it doesn't have the features of today's machines that make certain tasks easier, it will sew anything. I still love the ol' Kenmore and I have never had it professionally cleaned/serviced because I can maintain it myself.
Welcome to the Quilting Board and beware of getting bitten by the vintage machine bug!!

Karamarie 06-12-2016 04:35 AM

The machine certainly looks good from what I can see.

fktsewing 06-12-2016 06:12 AM

Great find---Kenmores are durable and work forever. Would probably repaint the cabinet, but I like the aspect of using the top for a chalkboard. No need for paper and pen when figuring amount of fabric or measurements---just do it right there on the top. Kind of clever. My two Kenmores are 40 years old and still run great! Enjoy!!!!!

ManiacQuilter2 06-12-2016 06:52 AM

I learned to sew on my mother's Kenmore. It wasn't as pretty as this one you bought.

roserips 06-12-2016 07:02 AM

Very nice find and I hope that you enjoy your machine and create many wonderful memories with her.

PATTIESPEARL 06-12-2016 02:00 PM

I hot free manuals for mine thru sears parts on the internet.

MaggieLou 06-13-2016 05:09 AM

I have a 158 but I don't think it's the same model. I can't get a good look at yours. Mine is a workhorse. It will sew through just about anything. I bought it new about 1974-5.